can enlisted be married to an officer (army)

as prior military i know it is against reg. for someone enlisted to marry someone officer...

but..my husband is enlisted, if i decided to go back into the military as a commisioned officer, i wonder if they would force him to get out or allow it since we are already married prior to me going back in?>

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 12:42 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• According to my husband (prior military as well, and very knowledgeable about the different regs about this) no. Shouldn't be any problems. He said the only time you'd have issues is if you were both in at the same time and were enlisted and officer dating/getting married.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 12:46 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I think if you get married before you go back in, then there isn't anything they can do about it. I have a friend who is a sgt, and his wife is only a spc. and so far everything is ok.

But thats the higest duo mil. couple i know. .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on May. 10, 2009

• that is what i figured..since we are already married, it might not be such an issue. i expect they would never want me in charge of him which i completely understand...*grins*as fun as that ightbe...it would be too personal . he has 10 yrs left till retirement, my degree is not done yet , i have 2 more yrs before i can opt for commisioned officer so we would only be duel military for 8 years, then he would retire and i would finish my 20 yrs..maybe more.

its just one ofthose things.....i miss it..i really do....i know it was hard, i remember the bs...but the military is a part of me....i would never go back enlisted though lol. oh hell no....haha.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:49 AM on May. 10, 2009

• right, as long as the relationship was there beforehand. im pretty sure you're also not allowed to work in the same chain of comman
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:50 AM on May. 10, 2009

• yea i dont think they would ever make me his platoon ldr or make me the captain of his company. what i wonder is if we could be in the same unit, say he's in alpha company...and im captain of bravo company. still same unit...still same hierarchy but not close and personal...that worries me because if we have to be 2 units........how far apat would we be stationed. they say they try to keep you ithin 50 miles of one another and usually the same unit but when your officer/enlisted..i dont know. i told him just to get back on track with his college and do green to gold or something, both be officers and avoid these issues hehe. and damn we would be making bank...2 officers retired from the military. talk about nice retirement
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 12:53 AM on May. 10, 2009

• You can not be in his Chain of Command, but you can be in the same unit.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 5:16 AM on May. 10, 2009

• There wont be any problems with it because he is alredy in and you are already married. That would be like saying that if he was an nco and you were going through basic that you couldnt be togeather because its not allowed. I had a girl in basic that got in trouble because she was getting letters from an nco. Then they found out that it was her dad. lol but no it wont be a problem just the same as if you were both enlisted and you became an officer later on. They cant force either one of you to get out of the military. But i do know that you would not be able to be in the same unit because of the chain of command. If you have more questions talk to a recuiter about it. They would have all the answers that are by the book so you know they would be right.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:48 PM on May. 10, 2009