Would you report a friend to child services?

my friend is very depressed and not a good mom. Since birth, she has always pumped her baby full of medicine and herbal 'remedies'. She is highly medicated herself and a hypocondriac (sp?). I am worried about the safety of her baby and I can't stand to watch anymore. she is a good friend and I do what I can, but it really bothers me. Plus, when she is home all day, I think she puts the baby in a playpen in front of the tv while she sleeps. she jokes about it all the time!!! I'm tempted to make routine house calls during my lunch breaks!!

I know this is a no-brainer for the safety of the baby, but I am really in a tough spot. what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on May. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Place an anonymous phone call to CPS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on May. 10, 2009

• report her anonymously:(
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 12:46 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Yes, you need to. What if something bad happened to that baby. She does not needtoknowyou did that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on May. 10, 2009

• well i am sorry to hear that but if you are afraid for the babbies safty i think the right thing to do would to call child services before a real tragedy happens best of luck !!
    Anonymous

• Report her!! You can do it and still remain anonymous. If your are that worried---just imagine how you would feel if something did actually happen---could you live with the quilt?
    If it's to difficult for you to do--have one of your family members report her.
    kgck_momma

Answer by kgck_momma at 12:47 AM on May. 10, 2009

• If it were me, yes I would absolutely call child services on a friend who I felt was endangering their child. I would call on a family member as well. I have always been taught that if you see someone being hurt and do nothing about it, you are part of the problem. Child are innocent and helpless and since they cannot stand up for themselves, they need someone to do it for them. If it has to be their mom's best friend, than so be it. If you feel her child's health or safety is in jeopardy, it is now your responsiblity to do something about it. Ask yourself this question. Which is worse...calling child services, them removing your friend's baby from the home, and her possibly finding out you are the one that called? Or you not saying anything at all and God forbid something happens to that child that you could have prevented.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:48 AM on May. 10, 2009

• OP here: Is CPS totally anonymous? I've had 2 neighbors who always argue and one time neighbor #1 called in a complaint to the police about neighbor #2. and Neighbor #2 was given "very good hints" about who called.

meaning, even though they say anonymous, do they still give SOME sort of idea? Will I have a bunch of paperwork leading to me? I just fear that somehow my name will end up on some document and someone will let it slip in the investigation. Do I need to give them situations or proof?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on May. 10, 2009

• report her. that's being a good friend. you need to help the innocent, her baby.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:57 AM on May. 10, 2009

• You don't have to give your name, and they have to listen. If someone was given hints about who called, then first of all that worker needs to be fired, and second the person who called must have given their name.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:00 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I believe the reports stay anon. however I don't know for certain. There is a right for people to face their accusers but I don't know if that plays a role in situations like this. CPS will do its own investigation and come to a conclusion from that. You just need to let them know what you know. Let me ask you this. If for some reason they said your name WOULD get out or be put in the paperwork woudl that keep you from reporting her? If not than it doesn't really matter.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:02 AM on May. 10, 2009