At what age can a child stop using baby bath and shampoo products?

How long should a parent use, for example, Johnson and Johnson products to cleanse their child, whether shampoo or bathing products and Dreft to clean their clothes?

Buckeyes10

Asked by Buckeyes10 at 1:58 AM on May. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I never used dreft on my kids close, and only used baby soap for the first months. Now I use regular soap/shampoo with both my kids. It doesn't seem to be hurting them. As for the a baby bath a stopped using mine once he could hold his head up in a supported sitting position. Bath tub rings are great!!!
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 2:12 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I ONLY USED DREFT FOR THE FIRST MONTH OF ALL MY KIDS AND FROM THEN ON I USED REGULAR DETERGENT. BUT WITHTHE SHAMPOOS I WOULD THINK YOU HAVE TO SEE ON HOW YOUR BABY REACTS TO IT BECAUSE THE REGULAR SHAMPOOS AND SOAPS HAVE ALOT OF PERFUMES AND THAT CAN SOMETIMES DRY THEIR SKIN. I HAVE THREE TWEENS AND THEY STILL BATHE WITH AND USE JOHNSON AND JOHNSON LOTIONS. THEY ARE USED TO THEM AND THEY LIKE THE SMELL. LOL. SO I THINK IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOU AND YOUR BABY. HOPE THIS HELPED
    214mommydearest

Answer by 214mommydearest at 2:20 AM on May. 10, 2009

• i dont remember how long i used it on my daughter..i know i used the baby soap longer, just cuz i loved the smell..and the shampoo i probably stopped at around 1-1 1/2 yrs cuz she had long hair and i found it wasnt working as good, so i swtiched to loreal kids stuff the 2 in 1..and used that til she was 3, then i started using my shampoo (pantene pro v) but now shes 5 and insists on me using hannah montana shampoo.cond..lol..so weve been using that for the past year
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:24 AM on May. 10, 2009

• After a child is a year old, you can usually start washing their clothes with regular laundry detergent. Eco-friendly laundry detergents are the best! Also, as far as the use of baby shampoo and baby wash, when your children have become accustomed to keeping soap out of their eyes, that's a definite sign that you can move on from J & J. I would continue with a conditioning tear-free shampoo and a hypo-allergenic soap (or wash).
    Southrn_Mom

Answer by Southrn_Mom at 8:05 AM on May. 10, 2009

• My daughter is 8 and still occasionally uses the Johnson and Johnson because we love the smell and it makes her skin so soft.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:40 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I never really used Dreft for my sons clothes, and he was fine, never had any reactions to anything. I still use baby wash and shampoo for him though. He is 17 months old. My sister also still uses it for my nephew and he is 3. So, I don't know how long I will use this. Probably until he can learn to close his eyes when I wash his hair...otherwise it would burn his eyes...
    1sttimemommy198

Answer by 1sttimemommy198 at 8:43 AM on May. 10, 2009

• If there was an age limit, it would be on the label. Its your choice mom. I still wash my 3 yr old in baby magic because it smells so darn good. Sometimes if its all we have, my 7 yr old gets his hair washed in it too. He says he doesnt want to smell like a baby....LOL. Its just whatever you feel comfortable with.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:14 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I know that you can use baby soap/shampoo on kids up to like 6 or 7. When my little sister was a baby, I'd use her shampoo just because it smelt good! Lol and I was 12 or 13 :-)
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:57 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Never used Dreft. I just cleaned their clothes with our regular detergent which is dye and perfume free to begin with.
    Baby shampoo...I used for awhile only because my mil gave me a ton of samples. She worked at the hospital and when new moms don't take all that stuff with them they toss it or give it to the staff so she had boxes for those little shampoos and baby bath.
    When my oldest was about 3/4 I got her some Suave kids shampoo and all the kids started using that. My youngest only used the baby stuff for a year only because I liked the smell of it. Now they all use Suave on their hair and those soaps that come in the little wrap so they aren't slippery.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:59 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Never used Dreft. I used a free and clear soap which is what I normally use. I stopped using Johnson's last year when I switched her to baking soda and vinegar. She's now 2.5 years old.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:05 AM on May. 10, 2009