I need some help......

So I just heard "The Best Day" by Taylor Swift and immediately broke into tears. I have 2 small children and they, like the song play princess, pirate ship, ect. However, what made me cry is I feel super guilty because I have now realized that maybe I do not spend enough time with them. Sure I talk to them and sit with them, read books from time to time. But I never crawl on the floor with them, or play much "pretend" with them. I always have school work, or housework, or budgetting to do. Plus I am overweight so I lack the energy to do some of this as well. God, I feel so bad. What can I do, how can I be sure my babies are getting all the attention that they ned from me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on May. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I HAVE THREE KIDS AND I PLAY WITH THEM, SING, WATCH MOVIES, LISTEN TO THEIR STORIES, HOLD THEM WHEN THEY CRY, WATCH THEM DANCE OR PLAY SPORTS BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I STILL FEEL LIKE I DON'T SPEND ALOT OF TIME WITH THEM BECAUSE I HAVE BACK PROBLEMS THAT DON'T ALLOW ME TO MOVE AROUND ALOT BUT I THINK NO MATTER HOW MUCH WE DO WITH THEM WE WILL ALWAYS FEEL LIKE WE AREN'T GIVING ENOUGH BUT REST ASSURE YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB. i WISH MY MOM DID AS MUCH AS YOU DO WITH YOURS. i THINK YOU ARE DOING FABULOUS AND THE MOMS THAT WORRY ABOUT THE TIME THEY SPEND WITH THERE KIDS ARE THE MOMS THAT NEED TO BE APPLAUDED. KEEP DOING A GREAT JOB. :)
    214mommydearest

Answer by 214mommydearest at 2:14 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I suppose the first thing would be to stop listening to country music.....**grin**

The fact that you're worried about it means you're spending enough time. Generally when we think we're not, we're actually driving the kids nuts by being about too often!

Think about this: Moms of a certain era (about the '50s and 60s) were HOME, but weren't in their childrens' pockets. We kids played in the yard or over at a friend's house or in the basement...and if we wanted mom we knew she was there. That's really the important thing. NOt that you're being Helicopter MOm, but that you're there when needed. Your objective is, after all, to raise independent kids who can function on their own without you.

Sounds like you're doing a FAB job.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:16 AM on May. 10, 2009

• OP Here: Thank You ladies, You have made me feel so much better about my mothering skills! I never saw it the ways you have said it, but I do understand now. Sometimes it takes others to pull your eyelids open before you can see.

hugs

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I used to feel that way too about me and my son. But if you look at all the things you do instead of those you dont, thas all that matters. We are ALL SUPERMOMS. We kiss boo boos, clean poop, comfort them, (putting playtime aside) AND we care for their well-being. This isn't our grandmothers or greatgrandmothers era... in todays economy, most of us moms have to work too (OMG and dont even talk about the housework involved with kids) We ladies should be applauded. Don't stress over it hun, you are doing a great job. Sometimes we automatically put ourselves on this overbearing pedistal, the fact that you are even concerned with that shows you are a good mom.
    kalioop

Answer by kalioop at 6:43 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I am concerned about your lack of energy. Are you drinking enough water? Being even the teeniest bit dehydrated can leave you feeling droopy; don't wait until you are thirsty to drink, drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day.
    Are you eating a balanced diet? It is so important to set a healthy example for our kids. You should be eating 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables every day, in at least 3 different color. You should be eating 7 servings of whole grains every day. Cut back on, or eliminate meat and dairy, and add bean and lentils (and even tofu) to your diet. Feel free to contact me directly with questions or for help with meal planning.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:55 AM on May. 10, 2009

• You should'nt worry about the time you spend with your kids.I think you are doing an excellent job.It is nice to hear about the good moms and get a break from the one next door always screaming at her kids to get out of her face or go play somewhere and leave me alone.At least you are'nt like her and kuddos to all the nice things you do for your babies.
    Anonymous