At what age do you think your child should be allowed to choose their own religion?

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 2:07 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As soon as he's ready. Age isn't a factor when it comes to conviction. I know I felt convicted at an early age. (I've been heavily and actively involved in church since I was 4, and my involvement only got deeper once I hit about 12 - by 16 I was helping with baptisms, confirmation classes, communion - everything but giving the sermon. As for the 25 thing - I'm not even 22 yet (my bday is the 21st!), and I know exactly what I believe. Age has nothing to do with spirituality or conviction. Nor does it have anything to do with one's ability to reason. There are teenagers who better understand religion than grown adults raised in the faith, and there are people of all ages completely ignorant of religion, even their own)
    I'm a Christian Universalist, so he's going to know about all sorts of religions anyway, and I have no problem in guiding him down any path he feels fits him best. Its my job to encourage him, not to push him.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:19 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Teen years. That's when they'll make their decision anyway. I was givien a Catholic religious education but walked away from it at 14. I went back to it briefly in my early 20s and then left it again.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:11 AM on May. 10, 2009

• late teen yrs ... really not until after .. the reasoning kicks in at 25
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:15 AM on May. 10, 2009

• 15 ish..i was forced into christianity when i was 3...and i walked away from it when i was 12-13..im 26 now..and i still havent "gone back"..i think it was wrong to be forced on me..i didnt know what i was doing at 3!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:16 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I think when they could give you a well thought out answer as to why they chose the religion that they have. My daughter has gone through a few different beliefs, and has quite an insight to all of them. But I think that to practice that religion openly, out of respect for your house the child should follow your rules.
    tjburcham

Answer by tjburcham at 2:25 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I would never force my children to believe one thing or another. As I said in a question similar to this one, as their parent, I can only take them so far and then the rest is up to them. Once they feel old enough to make their own decisions about religion, I know that me trying to force them to believe what I believe will only push them further away. I would allow them to come to their own conclusion and I would simply love them on their journey. Praying that just like the prodigal son, they would eventually return home (or back to Christianity). In the end the ultimate decision, will be up to them and most of the time all children struggle with figuring out who they are and what they believe during their teenage years so if this happens to my children, I will support them as they find their way especially since I remember when I went through those days myself and my mother's understanding made all the difference.
    PrayzAlphaOmega

Answer by PrayzAlphaOmega at 2:36 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Educate your children about your beliefs and allow them to explore other theologies so that they may choose their own path of enlightenment and enrich their childrens lives.
    GINSMUM123

Answer by GINSMUM123 at 2:58 AM on May. 10, 2009

• No one should belong to a religion until they choose it themselves. Labeling a child Christian or Atheist is just as silly as saying they are a democrat or republican.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 3:56 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I do not think this is something you can put an "age limit" on.  Everyone matures differently.  Everyone has different spiritual needs. 

I decided I needed to find my spiritual path when I was 14.  I studied and searched.  I found what I was looking for in Paganism and 15 years later I am still on the same path.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:00 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I can not say b/c to say I "let" them choose would imply that I had some choice in what speaks to them spiritually. I am an atheist, but I am raising to listen to their own inner voice. I am exposing them to any and all beliefs. They will know what leads them when they are open to hearing it. Whether it be the christian god, the pagan god's, no god, earth, etc.

I don't think anyone can dictate beliefs upon another. It doesn't work that way.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:58 AM on May. 10, 2009