What is your take on this information about "citizen serve"?

I am understanding this to say that if a senior citizen, (which is where I'm headed), does "citizen serve" that they will rec'v additional income, etc. and continued health care. But what if they don't want to or are disabled and can't "citizen serve," does this mean that their health care will not continue? It sure sounds like that to me, please tell me what you all think?

Thank You~~~

the link: (sorry, u will have 2 c&p the link) (pg.2 / para. 8)

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/NationalServicePlanFactSheet.pdf

"Obama and Biden will work to provide additional income security, including assistance with retirement and family-related costs, and continuation of health care coverage, for people who participate in citizen service."

agentwanda

Asked by agentwanda at 3:37 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i think thats kinda messed up...making seniors do whatever it is for extra money and health care. they have already put in their time and deserve to enjoy those years... not work just to keep their medicine.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 11:21 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Happy Mother's Day to All of you Ladies... :)
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 3:41 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I don't see anything about health care or income, sorry. All senior citizens are still entitled to Medicare and Social Security i any event, and nothing will take that away. It's the third rail of American politics...anyone who dares touch it will die.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:01 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Happy mothers day all!

This is just a way for senior citizens to volunteer with compensation. It is absolutely not true that that benefits will be taken away from those who are unable. That would require additional legislation repealing all of the hundreds (thousands?) of pages of legislation in place regarding social security and other benefits provided to senior citizens and others unable to work. It just doesn't work like that, that is illegal.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:05 AM on May. 10, 2009

• by the time you reach senior citizen age you should not be volunteering to help others. others should be volunteering to help you.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:19 AM on May. 10, 2009

_______________________
    Should is a strong word for this assertion. Maybe there are many people who enjoy staying active and helping others. I know my Grandparents both did until they fell ill, long after retirement age. My Grandfather actually worked two jobs (for fun, they were not in need of the $$) and my Grandmother volunteered at her local library until she fell ill with cancer, well into her 80s.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:23 AM on May. 10, 2009

• You betcha. I am 67 and have genergy to volunteer ...and babysit for my grandchildren,walk an hour a day at least and go to yoga and pilates. Senior citizens no longer sit in their rocking chairs and conserve their strength,get exercise knitting or playing cards after the age of 65. LOL! We are the new 50. Actually now that I am almost back to my weight of 128 (my weight when I got married in 1965) I have the energy of a 30 year old.I am considering this volunteer work! Don't sit and rest on your laurels and let everyone else put forth all the effort. We have to work together and stop resenting our new President.
    Anonymous

• I agree w/ Stacy. I know a lot of 'freshly' retired people that are not happy unless they are active. It can be a really hard transition for people that have worked their whole adult lifetime. Many of them get part time jobs just to feel needed or helpful. I don't know that it's right to make them volunteer to receive benefits. That seems wrong. I think it should be optional for them to do anything. I haven't read the info you are talking about though, so I can't comment on what it says specifically.

I know that I have seen some of the people here jump all over one of the regular posters for having the audacity to let her mother come and clean up around her house (nevermind that her retired mother WANTS to), insinuating that she makes her mother work for her. It's easy to judge when you don't know many retired people and haven't seen how that change in their life can be a difficult one.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:19 PM on May. 10, 2009

• First of all, Happy Mother's Day ladies!

You go anon! Good for you!
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 1:38 PM on May. 10, 2009