Do all children that were raised in a (Christian) church-going home stray away from church when they are older?

Today, I read someone's response to a question about children being raised as Christians. She said that "most people that she knows that were raised as Christians, ended up leaving that religion for another or for no religion at all". I can honestly say that I have known many, many children whose parents were either ministers/pastors, or were very involved in church and their children always seemed to turn out to be *some* of the WORST kids in the church. I can attest to my own path to deciding to be a Christian and I can honestly say that NO ONE pushed me. My parents were seperated my entire life and I cannot even recall a day that my father set foot inside of a church. My mother (who I lived with) went occasionally. Anyway, I turned out to be a devout Christian. I'm wondering has anyone raised there children in a church and not had their children stray away? If so, what do you think you did differently than others?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i strayed, then returned. i know many from my childhood who never strayed at all, and now are studying at bible collage
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Anon 1:38, thank you for your response that is encouraging to hear. I don't hear that often but it may be because people usually focus on the bad stuff more often so that is what they talk about.-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:41 AM on May. 10, 2009

• my dh and i were both raised in xtian homes, and are still xtian. were we always perfect little examples of christ? no...not many are, but we never 'left' the church. in fact, for myself, i can say at my darkest, most unchrist-like times of life, i still attended church...if not out of habit, but because i truly needed an escape, a sanctuary away from all the hell i was 'into' on my own accord. something drew me into the church building every sunday..sometimes i hadn't been to sleep, maybe still hungover, or hurting from the abuse i allowed myself to receive...but i knew that for those few short hours, i wasn't out there, in the nasty, mean world..that i couldn't let go of just yet. thank God i finally did! now i don't fear the world and what it can do to me, '' for i know in whom i have believed, and i am persuaded that He is able to that which i've committed to Him." (2 timothy 1:12)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:08 AM on May. 10, 2009

• sorry...''..He is able to KEEP that which i've committed to Him." (silly omission)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:09 AM on May. 10, 2009

• ok im 1/2 asleep so i didnt read the wholething....but the answer to the title is NO
    i was raised christian and did stray fo a bit but am back in full swing
    i have friends that were raised christian that never strayed
    i think it depends upon the raiseing. i was not raised so much with the concept of gods grace and love, but just do and dont do this cuz that is what youare supposed to, memorize this and spout it off..... that didnt work out so well for me
    i now have a stronger than ever relationship with god and am sooo thankful for his love
    and i am trying to raise my son in tis manor, i think i am doing pretty good so far
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:25 AM on May. 10, 2009

• No, it all depends on the person. I know a LOT of Christian raised people that are still Christian and have never stopped being Christian. I know a select few that were raised Christian and chose a non Christian path.

But, I have to say, all Christian parents should be prepared to have a child that chooses not to be Christian. Because in the end, it has nothing to do with how a person is raised, it is what they feel in their heart and soul.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:05 AM on May. 10, 2009

• It all depends on the person. I don't know many that stayed Christian in more than tytle but I know many that stayed Christian. Or claim to be. Although as you said the more "involved" in the church they were as kids the more likely they are to run as adults. My mother forced religion down out throats and believed it was her job to choose what we were to believe. We were forced (physically at times) to go to church 3 times a week, be active in the ministry, have bible studies 3 times a week, and do a daily bible reading. We were forced to live under the rule of her very strict religious views because all esle was "Satans Work" ~ I don't know ANYONE that was young in that church that stayed... We all had parents like my mom. And even the Kids that went on to big things in the church - left. Some for other Christian paths but some, like me, can't imagine being Christian. I decided at 6 ~ At 26 it's still not!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:41 AM on May. 10, 2009

• The obvious answer to your question is no, or else Christianity would have become a mythology centuries ago.

The reason children of ministers and pastors are the worst kids is because their parents impose very strict limitations on them, and of course they are rebelling.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:43 AM on May. 10, 2009

• It does honestly depend on the person. I was raised Christian, and I still am - although unorthodox (but I was raised to not have to fit in the box)
    I just think that everyone has a path that works best for them, and for some people that's Christianity, and for the rest, its something else. Regardless of where you start, you have to end up walking the path that's best for you.
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:11 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I know some who did, and some who didn't. One of my high school friends was raised in a fundamentalist church and in her teen years was one of the most 'in your face' Christians that I've ever met. We recently met up again after ten years and to my surprise she is now a pretty moderate Christian... she didn't 'leave the faith' completely, but she definitely is not raising her children in a fundamentalist church. My best friend was also raised in a fundamentalist church- out of her and her two brothers, one brother remains in that faith and is raising his children in it, but my friend and her brother are die-hard atheists who dislike any kind of organized religion.
    I think early impressions can help people discover what they believe, but ultimately I think the beliefs that stick are the ones you find yourself. The most 'devout' people I know are those who put thought into what they believed and why.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:16 AM on May. 10, 2009