What do you think about boys who really like certain "girl" toys?

HI. My son just turned 4 and for the past year he has been really interested in mermainds. Not the boy mermaids, but the girl ones. He also has this thing for pink, purple

kalioop

Asked by kalioop at 5:57 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i think it's normal. Little boys his age don't know the stereotypical gender roles and such. So, he doesn't know he's "not supposed" to play with that stuff. My brother played with barbies and he's a gay or anything. Both my boys like barbies and Hanna Montana and baby dolls.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 6:21 AM on May. 10, 2009

• my oldest son at the age of 4 wanted a kitchen. with an apron! he got it for christmas from his grandmother....his dad was mortified, because he said boys dont play in kitchens! WRONG! my son had dolls as well. It didnt make him girly! He is not 31, has a degree in automotive design! He loves automobiles, loves to cook & is a wonderful husband & father. I beleive its because he was allowed to find both sides of himself and is very well rounded. He has a nice home. he & his wife have nice cars and a very nice bank account....i can think of much worse things for him to have gotten into...so dont be to alarmed. Guys like pretty things just a much as girls...thats why they like lacy pretties that we wear for them & want us to look good & smell good when they are with us...think about it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on May. 10, 2009

• my son likes everything pink from Lazytown.. I don't care, My daughters have blue things, why shouldn't he have pink?
    mammadreki

Answer by mammadreki at 9:58 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I think that is normal, he doesnt know the difference right now, my daughter is an only child and when her boy cousins or my friend children come over they just play with her stuff. My BFF exchanged gifts with her boyriends family for X-Mas and the little boy who was abt 8 asked for a kitchen with pots n pans....
    My other friend once said that she would rather for her son to play with babydolls as opposed to Barbies. Its more really up to the parents preference the kids just know these are toys and I like to play
    brooklyn0209

Answer by brooklyn0209 at 9:59 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I agree with everyone, he is way to little to be playing into stereotypes. He does not know that boy stuff should be played with boys and girl stuff should only be for girls. My three year old is actually really into Dora the Explorer, but it doesn't bother me because he is into so much other stuff. I also know that this is probably going to be a phase, I mean he used to be into the Backyardigans and that did not last too long. You really shouldn't look too much into it. :-)
    jamesnkevsmommy

Answer by jamesnkevsmommy at 3:07 PM on May. 10, 2009

• THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! I agree with you all, its just nice to hear other moms think the same way I do. I want the best for my son and I appreciate all your responses. :)
    kalioop

Answer by kalioop at 3:19 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Sounds like my son. He's recently taken a keen interest in dressing dolls and I bought him a swimming Barbie doll. He also likes the Disney pink princess castle cake they have at or local store. He's just as interested in the Star Wars and fire engine type toys as he is in dolls and just yesterday picked up a baby doll toy that he wanted me to buy (it was a swimming baby so he could play with it in the bathtub). So it's pretty normal for boys to want to play with "girl" toys too.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 4:53 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Also, it sounds like the mermaids remind him of Mommy (long flowing hair) and I would think it's a huge compliment! It's normal for him to feel good about things that remind him of people who make him feel good! Happy Mother's Day! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:37 PM on May. 10, 2009