Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


hi,,i want to start up a small catering business form my i need kitchen inspected? also, Do i eneed insurance? God forbid somebody got sick? thnx

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • you can google alot of the answers you are asking. Try the book stores too for books on catering from home. Then check your city & county clerks office for rules & regs. they should have a list of contacts. Not to mention that you have to have certain permits and in some neighborhoods, they wont allow a home business. Micro-soft business (google this) has a lot of wonderful free information for starting a business and a list of some of the pit falls you have to watch out for.

    I to have a home-based business (not catering). Its difficult at times to work with my children running in & out...but i wouldnt have it any other way. There is a lots of groups here on CM who are wonderful again, Good Luck

    Answer by lacyjones at 6:52 AM on May. 10, 2009

  • It may depend on your state or county, but I would think you'd need health department approval and a license as well as insurance. You also have to pay estimated income taxes (in the US) and the full amount of self employment tax (social security.)

    Answer by Bmat at 7:29 AM on May. 10, 2009

  • It depends on your state and county! My mother wanted to open a cookie business out of her home and she was required to have a second kitchen used only for the biz. and she had to get rid of her pets even in the house. and have it inspected and insured... I know a lady in the next county that runs a cookie business out of her kitchen, she has cats and only has the place inspected every few years... I don't know if she's insured but I would guess so...

    Go to your local chamer of commerce and find out what is needed...

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:01 AM on May. 10, 2009

  • You will need to start with a sanitation license and yes, your home will need to be inspected. It will probably be more cost effective if you can find a commercial kitchen to rent.
    You will also need to get a tax ID number from the IRS, register with the state, and probably get a local business license.
    SCORE and the SBA have great resources to help you write your business plan and find funding.

    Answer by rkoloms at 11:23 AM on May. 10, 2009

  • most will need a certificate, so they can come in and inspect, and you'll need business insurance in most states.. you need to file a few things with the government as far as your taxes are concerned..

    I would start off small.. perhaps desserts for community events to get a name first.. but as far as legally starting it up.. you'll have to check with your state laws and county laws, because everywhere is different. You can google it.. laws about catering businesses.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:58 PM on May. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.