Does anyone know anthing about the hpv virus?

I have been diagnosed with cervical cancer and am undergoing radiation and chemo 5 times a week. First of all, I was wondering if anyone knows any survivor stories that could offer me some encouragement? Second, I have been doing some research on cervical cancer and know that 70% is caused by the hpv virus. My Drs. have'nt said if it caused mine or not. My husband and I have been together for 12 yrs and while he has been my only sexual partner, he has a long, promiscuous sexual history that I am just finding out about. He even cheated on me and I always took him back. My question is how do I know if he carries the virus and is it safe to have sex with him. I am scared to because I have been through alot and do not want to put my life at risk.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Health

• Tons of people carry the HPV virus.. like nearly 80% will get some form it over the course of their lifetime. It's the single most common STD. As far as identifying it, that's difficult. You'd have to get a blood test, or make him get one. Because other than that, it required a visual diagnosis.. and after a few years, the virus "clears up". It goes dormant. Your immune system supresses it and it's usually never seen again.. but it's still there. Most cases are like this. A few have recurring flare ups, but the majority are no longer contagious and have no symptoms after a while.. although the risk is always there. If he has no visible signs then you'd have to ask him point blank to get a blood test and hope he complies, if you had signs that would be a clue. I've never known anyone with cervical cancer so I can't be of help there.. sorry. I hope you're feeling better soon!
    s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 7:48 AM on May. 10, 2009

• There are also several different strains of HPV, some are more severe than others and cause more outbreaks than others. Some of the more severe strains do not go dormant. If he had them treated by a doctor (and avoided sex or being nude around you), you might never have even noticed. It only takes a few days to treat it (visually speaking).
    s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 7:50 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Please go to www.knowthecause.com and click on "Frequently asked questions" and there you will find the Phase 1 diet. Please start this so the you can recover from this treatment that you are undergoing. HPV is muck more common than people realize. Research really has not given any straight answers in my opinion. I was diagnosed myself in the beginning of my marriage and the Dr.told me that I could have gotten it 10 years ago from my first husband and that it was just now showing up. Well, I changed my diet and lifestyle and it has never shown up again, and has been gone for about 7 years. If you love and trust your husband NOW, please don't try to figure out when and how it happened. Please talk to Jesus and trust in him, he is ALWAYS there. I don't mean to offend anyone by saying that, I just know what He has done for me and my family! Good luck and may God bless you!!!!
    all-natural

Answer by all-natural at 8:18 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I just wanted to add that you do not actually have to have sex to get HPV. It' skin to skin contact, it doesn't require bodily fluids. Although sex is often how it's transmitted. But you can get it from oral sex etc as well. Not that it's any more comfort. But I agree, it's not important to know when it happened. If he's your only partner, then it's fairly obvious how you got it. The question is how are you going to handle it. If you're fine with that then move on, if you want to confront him about keeping it from you that's a whole different story. But know that there are millions of people in your situation.. you're not alone.
    s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 9:27 AM on May. 10, 2009