How can I get my baby to look left?

My daughter just turned 3mos old and 98% of the time she looks right. She is capable of looking left, but doesn't. Because she always looks in this direction she had MAJOR flat head on her rear right side.
She spends a good amount of her day not on her back (on belly, in bumbo style seat, propped up on couch, getting held), naps on her back and sleeps at night (10-12 hours) on her back.
Are there any suggested exercises I can do with her for her neck and torso muscles to get stretched and built up? I am not too concerned about the flat head (it doesn't look good, but her hair will cover it eventually), just the looking right issue.

Mrs.Captain

Asked by Mrs.Captain at 7:52 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How about if you sit beside her on her left side so she has to turn to see you, or wave her toys from the left side. If you bottle feed, instead of holding the bottle upward, hold it a little to her left so she has to turn her neck slightly. Changes will happen quickly, so don't overdo, if you are doing neck side to side exercises don't skip the right side altogether, in other words. I can't think of anything else. (I'm not in the medical field, maybe your doctor could offer better suggestions.)

Answer by Bmat at 8:12 AM on May. 10, 2009

• My little girl did that for awhile too. I wouldn't really worry about it. If you just really want to, you could start sitting on her left side everytime and talk to her so she has to turn to look left to find you.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:12 AM on May. 10, 2009

• My son also looked to one side for a period. The doctor told us to gently turn his head to the side that he avoids push gently on hi forehead and chin for a few seconds to stretch the muscles. He suggested doing this a few times a day.
    javiandjaysmom

Answer by javiandjaysmom at 8:42 AM on May. 10, 2009

• My niece did this and ended up needing physical therapy.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:50 AM on May. 10, 2009

• My daughter has what they call Torticollis and it just means that she has a tight muscle on the left side of her neck so she is always looking to the left...she has been going to physical therapy for it to stretch out the muscle...we also have to do exercizes at home...
    MadisynsMom0114

Answer by MadisynsMom0114 at 12:40 PM on May. 10, 2009