Breastfeeding past 1 yr and not sleeping through the night

My dd will be 1 in two weeks and we're still nursing 4-5 times a day, including nights. She isn't sleeping through the night yet (which isn't a problem) but I'm hesistant to wean her (which I'm really not in a hurry to do, but just wondering) because I'm thinking it would still mean she would night wake. She has no interest in milk and could really use some more fat in her diet, as my milk isn't very fatty at all.

So I guess I'm wondering, should I just continue to nurse since it most likely won't help her sleep any better? I'm not opposed to breastfeeding til 18 months but I don't know that I could go much longer than that. Or is there some way to introduce milk? She won't take a bottle but does use a cup. My others had no problems going to cow's milk but they were on formula so I was able to slowly introduce it.

Jessy0419

Asked by Jessy0419 at 8:37 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfed long past 1 year and my daughter would not accept cow's milk either. To add that extra fat she needed we used yogurt, but the important part is to get the yogurt that uses whole milk(yobaby is what we used). Good luck, many kids do not like the switch to milk.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 9:15 AM on May. 10, 2009

• The World Health Organization (much less influenced by the formula and dairy industries) recommends breast feeding for a minimum of 2 years. Cow milk is for baby cow. Now is a good time to introduce a sippy cup with water (the only beverage your child will need to drink). Plant based calcium is better for humans than animal based calcium: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    For good fats for growing baby brains, you can give your baby avocado, mix flax oil and ground flax seeds in foods, cook veggies or egg in olive oil.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:12 AM on May. 10, 2009

• You need to eat a well balanced diet. Why do you think that your milk isn't fatty? Unless you are malnourished your milk contains more fat than cow's milk. You do not have to use cow's milk at all. Healthy fat includes: eggs, nut butter (almond butter, peanut butter, etc.), avacado, olive/oil, and fish. Green leafy vegetables have calcium and you could maybe give a cup of fortified orange juice.

Do you have to wean her? No. The WHO recomends a MINIMUM of 2 years. My daughter is 28 months and still nursing.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:13 AM on May. 10, 2009

• A child does not need milk from another species. There are many other, better absorbed, sources of fat and calcium.

In any case, weaning would not help her health, but deprive her.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:49 AM on May. 10, 2009

• A ripe avocado is one of the healthiest ways to get healthy fats. Your milk does provide what she needs, and I would just keep nursing. The only thing introducing cow's milk is going to do is give her upset stomach, asthma, anemia, and bone problems. Formula is milk-based, so people transition to that better when coming off of formula. I've heard of several bf babies who end up intolerant of cow milk because well...you change species. I agree with the other posters -- just BF until you feel you need to, but cow's milk is for baby cows. There are other ways to get her healthy fat, calcium, and nutrients.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Have you ever tried goats milk?? and also greek yogurt is really good...I grew up on milk just like everyone else here and Im fine just get organic so you dont have to worry about hormones....you can give some cheese for fat or avocado but if you do want to give milk (which Im not discouraging you from doing) then just keep giving it to her in a sippy Maybe she will get used to it....
    Anonymous

• Don't wean!! I don't get why moms want to take away milk designed specifically for *their child* and give them milk specifically designed for a baby *cow.* Let me ask in one of my groups for advice if you're concerned about getting more fat into Raeghan's diet. I really do think it's best to go to at least two years old with the nursing.. I really am an advocate of child-led weaning. But really, I'll ask in one of my groups and I'll message you the responses.

Molly nurses SEVERAL times each day and night but I haven't really introduced anything else to her diet. Just a taste here or there of whatever I'm eating.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 6:16 PM on May. 10, 2009

• http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1460015/Natural_Age_of_Weaning

My journal post on natural weaning. All the other posters had great ideas on how to add fat to her diet. I am wondering why you feel your milk isn't fatty enough though? How do you tell that? My children both naturally started sleeping through the night around 18 months with no prompting from me so it does happen eventually and as long as that is not a problem for you then so be it. I started out with the intention of nursing 6 months with my first and ended up with him weaning during pregnancy at about 18 months and I am still nursing my 23 month old so you might be surprised when you get to 18 months how it just doesn't seem right to quit.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:44 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Keep in mind that weaning does not have to be all or nothing. If you are fine with the amount that she is nursing now, then don't change a thing! Some moms find they want to wean from night nursing, but continue to nurse during the day. chances are your milk has plenty of fat (you can't tell by looking at it)

I think you will find the info at Nutrition for Nursing Toddlers very helpful! Great info on cows milk.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:47 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I would suggest maybe pumping it for her and putting it in the sippy to help wean her but as far as the calcium issue goes... I don't see how she would have one if you are eating a balanced meal.
    SistianNoel

Answer by SistianNoel at 7:28 PM on May. 10, 2009