Has anyone's child been injured by an airsoft gun, and if so, how did you handle the situation?

Friday night my son and 3 other boys were ending their night of bike riding and playing basketball. They were in my kitchen when they received a request from the neighbor friend to come over because he had a surprise for my son. The "surprise" was to be hidden in the neighbors firepit. The "surprise" was actually an attack by an Airsoft gun that hit my son in the neck and chest several times drawing blood. There is indication that the neighbor was upset with my son because he was not part of the activities. I do not know if this is true. Because the boys have all been well versed in the importance of wearing masks and gear when playing with the guns, I was extremely concerned. I took my reluctant son to the neighbors house to get support from the parents - to have ALL of the boys know this is serious and that they all must learn. Now the Mom seems upset with me. Also took them to other neighbor, they understood.

itsmylife111

Asked by itsmylife111 at 8:46 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• There's a difference between playing with an airsoft gun when everyone is wearing proper gear and KNOWS the game is going on, and being ambushed.

It's just like if you were playing baseball, were up to bat, and got hit by the ball, or if you were walking down the street being pelted with baseballs...

What the neighbor kid did wasn't playing - it was assault. The parent is probably upset with you because either 1) she's also mad her son wasn't included, and this is where he's learned his behavior, or 2) she knows her son was WAY out of line, and that actually you could have even gone to the police with this, and she's mad, embarrassed, and afraid of repercussions, or, honestly, I guess you could say 3) a combo of both 1 and 2.

I don't think my kid would be back around this guy, he's trouble waiting to happen, and it's starting to come out.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:40 AM on May. 11, 2009

• My son plays airsoft war alot and does wear protection so he has never been hurt from it. BUT you did the right thing by taking your son to the neighbors house and showing his mother what had happened. She should have tanned her sons hide for doing this, honeslty, if this was my son I would not allow him to hang out with this neighbor kid again, sounds like a bad seed to me
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:14 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Thank you for letting me know what you think.   Feel so bad about the whole situation - hard to enjoy Mother's Day!  Really appreciate you insite!

itsmylife111

Answer by itsmylife111 at 12:22 PM on May. 10, 2009

• that is assault. Call the police. it was malicious and spiteful and purposeful. The police need to let him know it's serious.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:50 PM on May. 10, 2009

• If the other parents did not take this as a serious assault I would be calling the police, if they handled it in a way you believe made their son realize it was a very dangerous thing to do then I would let it go UNLESS something like it happened again.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:07 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Call the police and see if AirSoft guns are even allowed in your city. Then, report what happened. Take pics of the injuries for proof. In my city, Air Soft guns are not allowed and the cops will take the guns away. Keep your kids away from those neighbors, they sound dangerous and mean.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:22 PM on May. 10, 2009

• My son uses an air soft gun for a shooting team and they are taught that they are to be used just like a gun that shoots bullets. They are not toys! If my son had been attacked I would have called the police.
    t3dragonflies

Answer by t3dragonflies at 10:24 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I agree..if the boys mother didnt do anything about it you need to file a report before the situation escalates...if he did it once im sure hell do it again and you need to nip this in the butt asap
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 10:46 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I hate those things!

When I was preggo with dd I had someone shoot me in the stomach with one and it drew blood. Another time me and a friend were wrestling over one and I got shot point blank in the neck. That hurt.
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 12:03 AM on May. 11, 2009

• That is assult! There is a difference in playing with those and knowing what you are getting into and being ambushed. I would have filed a police report. Screw what that kids Mother thinks! It is parents like her that breed bullies!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:42 PM on May. 11, 2009