bad mothers day gift/kinda long sorry

what would you do if your husband got you the most thoughtless gift for mothers day? i had to tell him to go get me something last nite. and when i got it this morning, the bag was full of things for other people. he got dog treats, kitchen knifes that he has wanted, a pool for the baby, and cookies that i will never eat. i mean this is my first mothers day, and i wanted it to be special. i dont know what to do. he is the worst at actually buying something somebody might want. heck for christmas i specifially told him not to buy something, and thats what i got. he basically just gets things to fill the bag up. he knows im upset, and i dont know if im being selfish or what. i mean he gets awesome presents from me. any thoughts would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• sounds like he's just inconsiderate. or an ass considering that he bought you what you told him you did not want. i'd get him something you want for fathers day. like bubble bath or make up or clothes for the baby. he should catch on. lol
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 9:35 AM on May. 10, 2009

• If you want something specific make him a list of what you want. Show him a picture or find it on the internet and tell him this is what you want and he can order it. I got nothing so be thankful you got a bag of something, I didn't even get to sleep in like I asked. Men are clueless when it comes to what we wants and our hints are usually unnoticeable to them. SO make a list of where to go and what you want and he can pick from it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:37 AM on May. 10, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with wanting your first Mother's Day to be a memorable occassion. It will be now. If my husband had done that to me after I had expressly stated that there were things I was not interested in and he bought them anyway....well Father's Day is coming up. Turn about is fair play correct?

I am floored. He bought himself tools? Geez.

You are upset and have every right to be. This comes once a year. It's not like Christmas it's to celebrate the rite of passage to be a mother and all of the tasks the job comes with. It's about being recognized for taking care of everyone all year long. Even if it's a handmade card with a traced hand on it, flowers, a hug first thing in the morning from your child because they don't have money to buy you a gift...it's about being noticed. Move through your anger and focus on your family. However unnoticed we are we still take care of them. Happy Mother's Day!
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:39 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Actually, that's a good idea. Just drop the whole present thing for right now, and when Fathers day rolls around and he gets a gift certificate for a pedicure and a facial he'll see how it feels.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:41 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Sorry to hear that you didn't get something special from your husband but I'm going to have to disagree with the others. If you want a special present on Mother's Day remember that it's your husband and he may not consider Mothers Day now or think of it like a birthday or christmas. By telling him to get you something is quite vague because he probably didn't know what you meant and didn't think that Mother's Day would be like a new important day for you. On Mother's Day I didn't expect my OH to buy me anything because its something I haven't really considered before and my daughter is only two.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Awww, sorry you had to get a 'bad' gift on mothers day! BUT I have to say... HE IS A MAN. Not all but a LOT of men have trouble giving good gifts! Don't be too mad or upset. Approach him in a nice manner and start kindly teaching him how to give nice gifts. I cried lots in my first few years of my relationship because I have a husband that is challenged at gift giving. I know he loves me and now, after almost 9 years of being together, the gifts improve all the time. Just don't turn it into a fight...and really open up and try to talk about it and even if you need to wait until tomorrow so as to have a great day for the rest of the day. HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:56 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Sorry But thats funny, he doesnt really know. I think next time just tell him exactly what u want. I had to learn that the hardway also. This past christmas I got nightgowns that were too small and a hat glove scarf set!
    brooklyn0209

Answer by brooklyn0209 at 10:10 AM on May. 10, 2009

• At least you got a gift! I didn't get anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on May. 10, 2009

• No offense but you are NOT his mother.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:21 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Next year tell him to get you a card... atleast that way hopefully he'll sign the right name.
    I guess he thought you needed the dog treats for snacks, and the knives to hurt him after you opened the dog treats... I'd ask him if that was the plan lol
    Seriously... with me, you gotta be specific. Or tell them what you want. I show my husband things I want, or tell him. Just this morning I said "you know, I want a new cell phone I'm going on ebay... and I did and then I said ohhhhh I like this one" and he was smart.. he said "well then get it" so I hit the buy now button without hesitating and thanked him for the perfect gift lol
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:42 AM on May. 10, 2009