Can anyone give advice with a 2 1/2 year old not listening to anything thats being said and help on potty training??

My daughter will be 3 in July and she is very definant. I also have a son who will be 1 in June. My daughter has the tendancy of climbing into the pack and play with my son, and either sits or steps on him, she has hit, and she has pressed on his soft spot. She is constantly telling me " no " and hitting me. She screams with a high pitch scream. I could tell her not to do something til I am blue in the face, but she won't listen. I know thats just something kids do, but it is getting to the extream. My daughter will also growl at me, and now says " stupid " and " shut up ". I try to put her in time out, but again she does not listen. I will have to stand there and make sure she stays seated. I have been putting into some concideration of getting her evaluated, but I want took in other directions first. Also I am trying to Potty Train her. I have been trying to do that for quite some time now, but still having problems. Help

lovinlife0209

Asked by lovinlife0209 at 9:42 AM on May. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wish I could but my 1 1/2 year old son is in the same phase. At least once or twice a day I find myself thinking "Is that toast I smell, am I going to have a sroke?"
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:44 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Well you need to let her know its not happening. If she tells you no its time out, if she calls you names its time out. Put her in her room with nothing to play with, take away a favorite toy. If she is being mean the baby then put her in her room by herself. Don't let her get away with it at all, you have to be consistent with her. If you let her get away with it once or twice a day then that is why she is not listening. Make her consequence something she wont like, such as missing her favorite cartoon, no dessert after dinner, not special treats during the day, going to bed early. You need to stop the behavior because the older she gets the worse its going to be. As for potty training take all of her diapers or pull ups out of the house. Put the babies diapers up where she cant see them and keep putting her on the toilet, let her sit in her soiled underwear for awhile instead of changing her right away. GOOD LUCK
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:46 AM on May. 10, 2009

• First, unless she goes to school or is around other kids all the time, she probably learned stupid and shut up at home. They pick up everything, watch what you say around her unless you want her to continue talking like that.

Second, give her a harsher punishment than timeout. No T.V. or toys for the whole day to start, and if that has no effect then give her a spanking. I wouldn't usually recommend that, but she sounds like she's really difficult.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on May. 10, 2009

• My first thought is to wonder where she learned "stupid" and "shut up. (not saying that YOU say those, she very well could have heard them in passing or something)

When you tell her no, do you tell her WHY? CALMLY sit her down and ask her why she hit her little brother. You will most likely get a lot of "i don't know". Which is fine. Talk her through it.
    You: Why did you hit DS?
    DD: I don't know.
    Y: It hurts him when you hit him. He doesn't like it. Do you like it when someone hits you?
    DD: No. It hurts.
    Y: Are you going to hit him again?
    DD: No.
    Y: Why not?
    DD: Because it hurts him.

That's about how it should go. Also, if you spank, stop. I realize that it's a "parenting decision" but it's obviously not working for her AND you can't get her to stop hitting unless you stop hitting her(if you, or anyone else is spanking her). Good luck!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:47 AM on May. 10, 2009

• obviously time outs aren't working. I'm a spanker.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like a 2 year old, my DD acts this was lso to a point I do not let her get away with anything so its not like she is use to it and I just started disaplining. She is just hard headed and it will pass adventually!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:18 PM on May. 10, 2009