What are your shopping preferences?

Please, no bashing. Sincere answers needed.

I am working in a economic restructuring project for my small town. The problem is, majority of the population of the town zips past our downtown to shop at a large city (about twenty miles away). The agreed on reason is lack of public relations. I don't thinks so. I believe that our small downtown harbors too many dusty antique shops and mom&pop that are way too nichee, and don't have the instant attention grabbing appeal.

Yes, we have festivals and other special occasions. People do attend these events, but these events only. They don't return to shop at the small town shops. What do you think why many people are attracted to big city shopping as opposed to their own small towns?

Thanks

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 10:55 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think your folks who've suggested PR as the reason folks don't take the time to find out what's available in their own town may be a really valid point. PR isn't just about getting people to "come in a buy what I'm selling", it's also about re-educating your store-owners as to what their potential customer WANT in a store. If they aren't willing to make adjustments in their inventory, hours, marketing, displays, ads, prices, or any other number of things, then your populace with continue to race off to the Big City where their needs are met.
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 3:25 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Big city shopping has more to offer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Big city shopping has namebrands, more variety, and its "cool" to be seen there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Big city shopping I am a brand name person and that is the only place I can get them or online.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 11:21 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I live in a big city (Chicago), and while I love to bargain shop at Loemanns and Filenes Basement, I prefer to shop at small, independent shops.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:39 AM on May. 10, 2009