i think im going to order "my baby can read" have you heard anything about it???

tullysmom

Asked by tullysmom at 11:27 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I got it and I like it but to each their own,,,,
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:46 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Just let your baby be a baby. You can't tell in 1st grade whose parents used reading books with infants and who didn't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Actually I think that you can tell there is a distinct difference befween children who's parents read to them as infants, and the ones who didn't! Speech and understanding is much better in children who were read to as infants. But to answer your question, I have never heard of it. I won't spend money on a specific program, I just read a lot to my daughter. She is 3 now, and has a very large vocabulary. She even told her daddy yesterday "Daddy, you look very distinguished" LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Don't waste your money. Talk to your baby constantly read. Read to your baby every day. Take your baby to the park, museums, libraries, everywhere and talk about everything. In a couple of years you can start labeling everything in your home: door, window, etc.
    My daughter was reading before she was potty trained, and was able to get into the top public schools in Chicago.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:34 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I agree with the first poster, just let your baby be a baby, enjoy it. It only last for a short while
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 10, 2009

• Save your money...start a college fund.

It doesn't teach reading. Have you not seen the commercial? It teaches memorization of words...the way a word looks. It doesn't teach spelling, it doesn't teach phonics, it's only going to cause confusion when you kid actually starts school.

You can teach letters and phonics yourself for free. It's a waste of time and money. I wish they'd yank those stupid commercials..but as long as people waste their money on it, they'll keep selling it.

Children learn through play. Play with blocks and puzzles. By the time they start talking, they'll recognize their letters. My 3 year old is sounding words out already...all because we play and read together.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:42 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I never said don't read to your baby, I said don't try to teach a baby to read. It's VERY important to read TO them as it develops language skills and WILL make them smarter. But buying some program to try to teach babies to read is just silly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I agree with the previous replies. Let your baby play. Don't try to teach him to read. If you want to encourage him to love books and reading, then read to him.

I just read that in Finland they don't start teaching children to read until they're 7 years old--and Finnish students consistently come out on top in international assessments. There's no need to rush the academics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/magazine/03wwln-lede-t.html?ref=magazine
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 12:26 PM on May. 10, 2009