How come??

People say that you can get birth control for free when you really cant?? i have called planned parenthood and the health department and neither offer it for free.

so who is at fault the government for not offering birth control to low income woman or is it the womans fault?

ps condoms dont always work.

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 11:53 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• IMO this is an issue that the government needs to work on!
    I say that in order to cut down on unwanted pregancies (or abortions-for the anti-choicers) and all the expenses to take care of the unwanted children and the medical costs of pregnancy for low-income women, we do need to have the government offer free BC and sliding scale rates for all citizens!
    However; until that happens, then its up to each individual woman to do the best she can (and make sure the guys do to!) to prevent pregnancies and STD's. Expecting people to go without sex is unrealistic. But, I do think many people could afford BC options, even when they are low-income, but they make other choices instead. And, if you are taking the extreme of food on teh table VS BC, well, if you don't use BC then thats another mouth at the table..but, if you skip meat for a meal or two, BC costs are covered. Not ideal, by any means, but a necessary choice to make.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:59 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Here you can get Mirena at Planned Parenthood for $40. So $40 for 5 years.. that's pretty much free to me! And it isn't the government's responsibility to pay for birth control. Every woman has her own form of birth control that is absolutely free.. it's called 'don't have sex!'
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:59 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I'm not sure "fault" is the relevant issue. It is important to make it available, especially if we want to reduce the abortion rate and teen parent rate.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:00 PM on May. 10, 2009

• don't have sex doesn't work when your married, that just means hubby has an affair and a child on the side.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:01 PM on May. 10, 2009

your right fault was probably not the right choice of word.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:02 PM on May. 10, 2009

• well if your really a "low income" you get it prescribed and medicaid pays for it. At least it did a year ago when i was on it!
    Anonymous

• If you are low income, you can get Medicaid and birth control will be free. Planned Parenthood offers bc at a discounted rate; if you can afford condoms you should be able to afford what PP has to offer.
    Anonymous

• If Viagra is free, birth control should be free.
    rotPferd

Answer by rotPferd at 12:08 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I thought PP took what you could afford to give them. Like if you can afford $5, they will take that. I know that's what one of my HS friends did when we were in HS. She was sexually active w/ her boyfriend and didn't want to get pg. She would get a ride to PP w/ one of her friends and run in while they waited in the car. Most of the time all she had was like $5 or $10. She always came out w/ BCPs.
    Anonymous

• ok the Medicaid argument doesn't work for me. for one if you make on cent over the income limit you no longer qualify that doesn't mean you are not low income. and it also means that you can not afford birth control. condoms are way faulty. plus if your low income would you rather put food on your table or buy condoms with the little money you have.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:20 PM on May. 10, 2009