What do you know about Hawaii?

Me and dh are thinking about moving to Hawaii.( we want to be somewhere warm year round, were in iowa right now) we have wanted to move for a long time but have not had a chance really. he will be done with school in a little over a yr and thats when we want to move ( after he finds a job of course) any info you have about hawaii or moving there would be helpful. thanks.

p.s. we are going to try and plan a week there this summer on dh's vaca. if we can arrange it. just to check it out and see if we like it for sure.

also if theres a diff warm place you would suggest living with children where would it be?

PEACHES1721

Asked by PEACHES1721 at 11:57 AM on May. 10, 2009 in Travel

• Hawaii is expensive. Keep that in mind!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on May. 10, 2009

• I was going to say the same thing. The kind of house you can get around here would cost double in Hawaii. I love Hawaii, even so, the weather, the people. But if we ever moved there it would have to be to a smaller house.

Answer by Bmat at 12:03 PM on May. 10, 2009

• It is beautiful and expensive; it will be very expensive to travel and visit relative on the mainland. If one of you has an employer who will move you there, then definitely go for it.
    We live in Chicago, and I never get tired of the changing seasons. I do career and job search coaching and I am always happy to help CafeMoms with resumes, cover letters and job search strategy.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:17 PM on May. 10, 2009

• you sure will be a long way away from family!!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:54 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I HIGHLY suggest the island of Guam. It's beautiful, a bit less expensive than Hawaii, the locals are MUCH more friendly, the beaches are gorgeous and a lot less crowded. We lived there for 3 years with the military. Spend the first part of that living off base. The island is very small, but it's really easy to take flights to Saipan, Taiwan, Australia, Japan. The weather is wonderful, 75-85 year round and if it rains (other than the "monsoon" season) its only for like 20 minutes a day. It will be more expensive to get there in the first place, because of the airline tickets and price to move your household stuff, but its such a great place we would suggest it for anyone. If you would like more information, feel free to send me a message. We lived there with our 2 oldest kids (my youngest wasn't born then), and the sense of family and community on the island is the best. The food, perfect. And tons to do with kids too!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:48 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I think I heard that you cant even buy a home in Hawaii unless you are hawaiin or something like that, since there isnt alot of land, You can rent but cant buy land. Now I dont know if that is 100% true or not so you might want to check it out but I personally would love living there but know I would like never see my family due to travel costs.
    Awing10

Answer by Awing10 at 8:05 PM on May. 10, 2009