Toddler friendly activities in Tampa

We will be visiting my inlaws in the Tampla, FL area next month and I'm looking for somewhere we can take our toddler son. They initially wanted to take us to Busch Gardens, but our son is only 20 months and we don't think he's quite big enough to make it worth the expense of 4 adult tickets. They have a pool and we do plan on some beach time, so we are looking for just a one day thing. Any thoughts on what we can do? We don't mind spending money if it will be something our son can really enjoy, but the cheaper the better! Thanks in advance ladies!

chillemi78

Asked by chillemi78 at 12:41 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Travel

• the Lowry Park Zoo is a nice place to go..I love taking my DD there whenever I can. Or Adventure Island..its a water park right next to Busch Gardens
    FL_Mommy_2

Answer by FL_Mommy_2 at 12:54 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I was also going to suggest the Lowry Park Zoo.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 4:17 PM on May. 10, 2009

• You could also drive up to the Crystal River to look at the manatees...But, the zoo sounds like more fun!
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 7:08 PM on May. 10, 2009

• *Crystal River area...sorry =)
    jkt747

• Thanks, ladies! The zoo looks really fun! Kind of ironic that I'm near D.C where the National Zoo is free, but this zoo looks a bit nicer!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 10:42 PM on May. 10, 2009

• The Florida aquarium downtown is fun for the little ones,there is a lot of hands on things and it is airconditioned if you need to beat the heat for a day. I don't know what it is about fish but it seems like all little ones are mesmerized. Lowry Park Zoo is a pretty good zoo and is fun. My kids also enjoyed Busch Gardens because of the kiddie area and the animals but it is expensive.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:15 AM on May. 11, 2009

• most cities have children's museums maybe check the web for them.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:51 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I'm also a DC-area person. We took my son to the Aquarium in Tampa when he was 6 months. Tampa has a good museum (MOSI) with an area for children. They might enjoy the Sunken Gardens in St. Pete.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 12:38 PM on May. 13, 2009