Shingle exposure please help

My daughter and I am living with my parents, as well as my brother who recently found out he has shingles (on the back of his neck). He has been in full contact with her these past 2 days before he showed symptoms.. My daughter(11mo's) is on a life time regimen for steroidal medication for her condition(CAH) , which I read may weaken her immune system.. Can ANYONE please tell me how likely it would be that she would develop this? I have never had chickenpox either.

Po0okiebear69

Asked by Po0okiebear69 at 1:26 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Has she had the chicken pox vaccine? I would imagine, if she's been exposed, she's pretty likely to get it as opposed to someone not exposed or someone a bit older.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:50 PM on May. 10, 2009

• My husband has shingles right now, and we have a 7 month old. I told the dr. that he hasn't been holding our daughter or anything and his response was "Oh, he can gold her. It's very rare for it to pass, she'd have to come in full skin to skin contact to his rash on a regular basis for it to even have a chance of passing to her" He also said it's rare for someone to pass it on to a family member. He said it just simply doesn't happen.

You would have more of a chance of getting chicken pox than your daughter, but if you haven't had any symptoms yet I bet you're free and clear. I'm sure you're both just fine, but do keep an eye on it.

Good luck, feel free to pm me if you have anymore questions. Since dh got shingles I've learned a lot about it.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 1:54 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Sorry for the typo. *hold her, not gold her, I was holding her at the time and was typing with one hand =)
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 2:01 PM on May. 10, 2009

• At 11 months I hope she hasn't had the vaccine since it isn't approved for use under 1 year. That being said yes you both most definitely can get CP from being exposed to shingles. it is pretty unlikely, but with a compromised immune system it is possible. i would be calling the doc and letting them know she has been exposed with someone living in the home and find out what they recommend.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:39 PM on May. 10, 2009

• It's very unlikely to get chickenpox from someone with shingles... almost impossible! (however I think the chances are greater if her immune system is down) It's not spread the same way as chicken pox even though it's from the same virus. So I wouldn't worry that much about it. BUT if she does get the chickenpox they won't show up for about 3 weeks. But there isn't much you can do about it... she has already been exposed, now you just have to see what happens.
    As for you not having them... you should get the vaccine if you plan to have more children... it's really bad if you get them as an adult and even worse if you get them while pregnant.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:44 PM on May. 10, 2009