A potty chair in the closet for a child reluctant to poop in the potty chair?

I don't know if putting a potty chair in the closet (where she normally does it) would be a bad idea. My husband thought it was a bad idea. I thought it couldn't hurt and it get her familiarized with pooping on the potty. Can anyone think of anything negative that could come of this?

Isaidit

Asked by Isaidit at 1:57 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why would your child be going in the closet. That is what a bathroom is for. What if she is at someone else's home then what? You need to teach her proper bathroom habits not what she wants to do. Your the parent and its going to lead to her always wanting to use the closet and not the bathroom.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:58 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Besides the fact that she would think that is the normal place to go poo poo?? It kinda doesn't seem to be a good idea to me. Just lock the closet, so she can not go in there and poop, and keep showing her where the potty is. Put a potty chair in the bathroom and encourage her to use it...
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 1:59 PM on May. 10, 2009

• The potty chair is in the bathroom and she is mostly pee trained but today she said poop and headed for her closet and I told her she doesn't have a diaper on and needs to go on the potty chair. She never went and I'm afraid she is going to get constipated. I only would let her do it a couple times until she got the hang of it and then it would get moved permanently into the bathroom. It's always in the bathroom for pee but if she needs to go poop and won't go I thought maybe I could quick move it to her closet and see what happened. I don't like the idea of her holding it in.
    Isaidit

Answer by Isaidit at 2:03 PM on May. 10, 2009

• if thats where she likes to go then thts where i would put it
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:04 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I would put it there to start. After all, she needs to get comfortable with using the potty right? Once she does fine with that then start moving her potty to the bathroom. Every child is different after all.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 2:08 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I dont know, on the one hand I think 'why would you want your dd to get used to going poop in a closet?'...lol On the other hand I think 'well I used to put my kids on the potty in the livingroom in front of the tv so they had something else to concentrate on instead of fighting to go potty' so it's a tough one. Have you tried explaining to her that if she closes the bathroom door it's the same privacy as the closet? I would probably let her put the chair where she's comfy for like a week and then explain to her it's time to move it to the bathroom because potty's don't like being in the closet and the little potty wants to be by his 'big potty friend'.....Also, have you ever held your poop in? Every time I've tried to do this I've always ended up going, whether I liked to or not! lol Your body will force it out when it wants it out! :-)
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 2:29 PM on May. 10, 2009

• LMFAO at mommabear2008 

kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 2:47 PM on May. 10, 2009

• THE CLOSET IS OKAY FOR A BIT. but then I would slowly move it little by lil everyday til it ends up in the bathroom. you certainly don't want her blessing your mil's closet or maybe you would lol.
    BlendedMommy009

Answer by BlendedMommy009 at 3:41 PM on May. 10, 2009

• At a guess, I'd say the moms who are against this idea either haven't potty trained a child yet or didn't have any problems with the pooping part.
    MANY kids are reluctant poopers and hiding, especially in a closet, to poop is common - as any decent potty training book states.

Should you put one in her closet? YES. My child is a reluctant pooper too and would only poop in a pull up once she was in bed for the night. I put a potty in her room and now she will get out of bed to poop in her potty. After months of trying every trick I could find, I'm so happy that she is beginning to poop in any potty. Over time, I will work on getting her to poop in the big potty - one step at a time is the key when hitting a large potty training problem. Getting your to poop in the potty is the start. Then you can work on moving her potty.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:18 PM on May. 10, 2009

• She finally went in the potty chair after running to her closet a few times. We kept the potty chair in the bathroom and I turned out the lights and left. That seemed to be enough privacy for her.
    Isaidit

Answer by Isaidit at 9:08 PM on May. 10, 2009