Orthodox Christians

Is the Orthodox christian church against birth control?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 2:45 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I'm not sure what you mean by "orthodox" Christian, but I suppose I fall under that category. Personally, I feel like birth control is a way for people to be irresponsible without the consequence of a child (except for medical reasons). Too many people get on birth control just so they can have as much sex as they want. IMHO if you are going to live that lifestyle, I'd prefer you to be on birth control than have an abortion though. Birth control isn't murder; however, abortion is.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 3:50 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Orthodox Christianity is like a denomination, very much like Catholicism...they have bishops, priests, Saint Icons etc...the Orthodox faith is very old, mostly being in the Eastern European countries like Greece, Russia, Romania etc but has been in America for a while. You would recognize an Orthodox church by its "onion" shaped roofs. If you don't know what Orthodox is, than you aren't that denomination.

And for my question I meant for Married couples,as sex (to Christians) is only for married men and women. I know the Catholic Church is 100% against any contraceptives for married couples and was wondering the the Orthodox Church (denomination) was as well

Thank you for you answer though.

Anonymous

• This question does not seem to have a cut and dry and answer but here is a blurb i found online. For the most part I would say the Orthodox Church does not support the random use of artificial birth control(there is natural birth control)

livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 4:25 PM on May. 10, 2009

• The practice of artificial birth control - by which is meant "the pill," condoms, or any other kind of device - is actually condemned by the Orthodox Church. The Church of Greece, for example, in 1937 issued a special encyclical just for this purpose, to condemn birth control.

Likewise, the Romanian and Russian Churches, to name just two others among many - have more than once, in former times, spoken out against this practice. It is only in recent times, only in the generation since World War II, that some local Churches (the Greek Archdiocese in this country, for example) have begun to teach that it "might" be all right to practice birth control in certain circumstances, as long as this is discussed with the priest beforehand and has his agreement.
    http://www.roca.org/OA/155-156/155h.htm
    livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 4:26 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Thanks much, this is what I wanted to know!
    Anonymous