Do you think that growing up in a single parent home affects children's academic performance?

Researchers have several theories to explain why children growing up with single parents have an elevated risk of experiencing cognitive, social, and emotional problems. Most refer either to the economic and parental resources available to children or to the stressful events and circumstances to which these children must adapt.
http://www.futureofchildren.org/information2827/information_show.htm?doc_id=290708

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I can only tell you my own experience. I became "un-married" when they were 11 & 8. They're now 29 & 26. Son graduated college 18 months ahead of time with a 4.3 average. Daughter skipped senior year and went to college...paid by the government. Son is an Interactive Social Web Designer for companies such as CVS, Stop & Shop, he did the pages for Emmy's '07, Survivor China, Kid Nation. Daughter is a Lead Designer for special operations gear for the military.
    So you tell me......did they suffer?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:37 PM on May. 10, 2009

• No, I grew up in a single parent home, and was always an A student (for the most part) including being in the top 10% of my high school graduating class and graduated magna cum laude from college.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 2:37 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I think it's just an excuse personally. Because as long as the child has someone who loves them, then it shouldn't matter if there are one, two, or twenty parents in the household!
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 2:38 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I think it's bull. It depends on the time a parent puts into raising their child........ if they don't pay attention to their kids and don't put an effort into making sure they are excelling in school or are challenged then how can any child succeed? I am a single mother, my daughter won 1 of 25 places in the Invention Convention. She is only 6 years old, her teachers have wanted her to be moved to the 4th grade however I feel that she should be with children her own age, as such they give her extra work and I do as well... it's all in how they are raised and if the mother takes an active role in their education.
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 2:40 PM on May. 10, 2009

• No. It depends on the parent. If a single parent is giving their child[ren] quality time and helping them with their academics and GETTING them the help they need then it's not an issue. If a parent is willing to do that and able to, then the children will be just fine, even better than fine as evidenced by the first reply.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 2:51 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I grew up in a single-parent home with three other siblings.I was straight A all the way through..I was in a gited and talented and excelerated learner program..and was in higher classes all through school..I went to Krueger school for applied technology...onne of he highest grades in myclass...not to mention my siblings got oustanding grades in math,english and history classes...now our kids are smart in the same type of homes...its not about who is there so much as to how they help and how you are rasied and how active you are in a child's home..our mother and father worked so much we never saw them except for school socials and homework checks..they were there for the really important things..thats what they need to research...
    juliesmommy823

Answer by juliesmommy823 at 3:34 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Hell no thats not an excuse. As long as the family is doing okay, there is no need. I can see if the child is being abused or neglected, but other than that, no.

I know plenty of kids who have a single parent, with more than one kid, and they do really good in school because they dont want to end up in their parents situation.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 3:51 PM on May. 10, 2009

• My children wouldve had MORE emotional problems if me and their father stayed together. By not being together, my children have a better chance at succeeding in life.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 3:58 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Wildkitten, the person who asked the question isn't ignorant, there are many studies that show exactly that. It doesn't mean ALL children growing up in single-parent households do badly, it means children growing up in single-parent families have more RISK. Not all situations lead to the same conclusion, but statistically speaking, children raised in single-parent families are at more at risk to: drop out, experiment with drugs, have teen pregnancies, and get arrested. These studies don't say ALL, they say INCREASED risk. To be sure, being raised in a two-parent abusive family is NOT a good thing, but you need to look at the facts. Divorce can be devastating to kids. It also forces some families into poverty, which also increases risk.  My single friends with kids work very hard to provide a good environment for their kids, but they will ALL tell you it's a difficult job.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:34 PM on May. 10, 2009

• My single mother put me up for adoption when I was born (she was 23, but was as mature as a 12 year old). Six months later she decided she wanted me (Catholic Charities and the Foster Care system in Boston in the late 60's was much "looser" than it is today). When she regained custody she ended up sending me to live with relatives and friends until I reached Kindergarten age! Between school, after school sports/groups, and jobs as I got older, including sleep-away summer camp, I rarely saw her--which looking back was a GOOD thing!

Not wanting to be like her, and having had GREAT mentors in my life, I studied hard, was a straight A student, graduated from college with honors, and made something of myself. We have not seen or spoken to one another in over 6 years (once I learned the truth) I have given up trying to force someone to love me unconditionally. I'm blessed to have that with my DH and our children to fill the void!
    Anonymous