How do you unspoil a baby??

I have an 8 week old baby and she thinks that she needs to be held ALL OF THE TIME. How do we break her of wanting that all the time? Is it something that we did wrong, because we have always heard that you can't spoil a baby and that they can't be held to much.

chelcityrocks

Asked by chelcityrocks at 2:50 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well first of all you cant spoil a new born. its just not possible. they arent thinking "oh hold me just because ..."
    they are crying and if they need to be held then that is what they need.
    you're her mother hold that baby!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:52 PM on May. 10, 2009

• i agree. you cant spoil a baby under a year old.
    if that baby is crying it's because she needs something, ...even if it's just to know that you are there and you love her.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:57 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Okay I am going to go the unpopular route and say let her cry some. Not all the time and not constantly! But if you are trying to fix dinner and you know she is dry fed and safe, if she starts to cry then finish what you are doing and then pick her up. If you know that all of her needs are met then their is no reason to drop everything every time she starts to cry. No I don't think you can 'spoil a baby but I do think you can set a precedents or routine (The first lesson in cause and effect. I cry, they pick me up ). It's normal infant separation anxiety also. She will eventually learn that you always come back for her. It will be so hard for you to do I know. I had to do it with my little girl. You will get a lot of very different opinions here on how you should handle it but you have to take what you like out of each suggestion and come up with your own plan of action. Good luck!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:01 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Or you can get a baby wrap or sling. ...then you'll have the use of both your hands AND she will still feel safe and loved.
    It's important for babies to know that the cause and effect of when they cry is going to be consistant.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:08 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Infants need to be held and made to feel secure. You cannot spoil a child this age.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:51 PM on May. 10, 2009

• You can't unspoil something that isn't spoiled. it's impossible to spoil a baby under one I believe. Your baby NEEDS to be held and feel the love of mommy and daddy....so just keep it up, because time goes by WAAAAY to fast. My DD is 8 months and doesn't even want to be held a lot of the time.....enjoy it while it lasts.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:31 PM on May. 10, 2009

• At 8 weeks there is nothing you can do.
    KatNida

Answer by KatNida at 4:38 PM on May. 10, 2009

• My son did the same thing you are talking about at the same age...he would be fed, changed, burped...and just want to be messed around with. He eventually grew out of it. let him cry it out for 15 minutes see how that works. but its nothing you did WRONG.
    tullysmom

Answer by tullysmom at 4:53 PM on May. 10, 2009

• You can't spoil an 8 week old so there is no need to unspoil....
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 5:18 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Your baby is not spoiled. He just wants to be held. Remember, he has been close to for the past 9 months. Don't be surprised if that is where he wants to be. Definitely swaddle the baby. My daughter is over 2 months and even though it is hot some days, she needs to be swaddled to help her sleep and make her feel comfortable. I also have a Snugli. She won't sleep in it and gets tired after a while, but she likes being close. If your baby wants to be near you than maybe you are doing something right.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 5:45 PM on May. 10, 2009