Gifts,cards,or acknowledgement

My mother,grandmother,and aunt feel that they are intitled to gifts and attention on their birthdays,etc,but NEVER give out anything,not even a phone call on our days.I say you either are a giver or not one.If it's mutually decided that gifts will not be done,then both parties will abide by this,but not fair to be a gett-er,but not a giver.These women also have quite a history of abuse/neglect of us kids,so I feel it's ridiculous in light of this to expect ANYTHING from us.The abuse was allowing both myself and cousin to be molested if you're curious.Do you think moms are entitled to gifts,this day,or any day,just because they give birth to you?My family feels they should.

TMJ121099

Asked by TMJ121099 at 2:52 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• Don't ever give anything you don't feel in your heart is right to give. A gift given in spite or out of forced obligation isn't given in love so what's the point? I certainly wouldn't do it. I think gifts for giving birth isn't very logical anyway. A simple "thank you for my life" would suffice. In your case they should be happy you are speaking to them.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:39 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Not with your story you just told.
    Anonymous

• Based on the facts you gave, I say no, if the rest of your family wants to do something for them, let them but I say don't do it and if they get upset maybe that will be a step to talk about why you feel the way you do, don't know if they'll listen however.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 3:09 PM on May. 10, 2009

• i didn't have a good relationship with my father and i never gave him anything for father's day. why pretend that i feel anything special about him when i don't?
    KaydensMom99

Answer by KaydensMom99 at 3:12 PM on May. 10, 2009