If eggs aren't quite a month past experation, are they still okay to use??

I have eggs that expired on April 23rd and I was wondering if they are still safe to use?

chelcityrocks

Asked by chelcityrocks at 3:02 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I personally wouldn't take the chance. But, if you want to, you can crack them open and if the yolk doesn't stay intact it's bad. If the yolk stays round and doesn't look runny, it's probably okay.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 3:05 PM on May. 10, 2009

• expirattion dates are stupid.
    do you realize that USA is one of the only countries in the world that puts expiration dates on everything? Go to Germany, Poland, or anywhere else in Europe and only a few items will have expiration dates on them.
    If they dont smell bad then they are fine. Let your eyes and nose tell you what's up. Not a man made expiration date that helps push products off the shelf.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:10 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Fill a bowl with water and put in an egg. If it floats, air has seeped into the shell and you should throw it away. If it sinks, it is fine.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:47 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Well rkoloms beat me to it. haha. its true that good eggs sink and bad ones will float. A friend of mine also told me the other day that if you spin them and they are good they will stand up if they are bad they will stay on their side when spinnng. Im not sure if that last part is rue byt the sinking and floating is for sure.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:59 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't risk it. To me, that is just too long past the expiration date.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:44 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I think isn't it a sell by date NOT an expiration date? I could be wrong... my fridge is currently eggless or I'd go look for sure.

But the float-ey egg trick works... I tried the spin the egg theory ages ago, but it just fell on the floor. LoL
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 1:31 AM on May. 11, 2009

• The floating egg trick works.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 10:20 AM on May. 11, 2009

• older eggs make the BEST hard boiled!! The shell slips right off!!! egg sald, deviled eggs, in a tuna past salad etc!! there is NOTHING wrong with them!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:48 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I wouldnt risk it either. I cracked an egg before it expired and it stunk! Must have been a bad bunch. You shouldnt play around with food. Other items like cereal and oats, wont make you sick, they will just go stale. Dairy, meat, fish, and eggs---NO!!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:22 PM on May. 12, 2009

• my theory is a chicken doesnt have an expiration date and they didnt have expiration dates in the early 20th century so y worry
    LBAKER032307

Answer by LBAKER032307 at 7:36 PM on May. 12, 2009