Bought a fondue maker at a yard sale this weekend. Other than chocolate and cheese what else can you use it for?

I was thinking more about dipping strawberries in chocolate when I bought it. Are there any hot vegetable dips that I could use it for? maybe caramel for apples and dip whole apples or apple slices. It seems so old fashioned but I think it could be fun to use.

nan16

Asked by nan16 at 3:41 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Food & Drink

• BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:19 PM on May. 10, 2009

• We used to use steak strips cut into an inch or two. Chicken works.

You can also fondue mushrooms and other vedetables......you can bread them/flour them as well if you like.
    Anonymous

• It is true Fondue was at it's popular height in the 60's and early 70's. It has made a huge comeback. Have you ever heard of "The Melting Pot' restaurants? They are making a mint and it is all fondue. From appetizer to dessert.. You can use it for many thing...appetizers, dessert, main course, dipping premade choclates for the holidays, On Sunday nights My Mom would have apples cut up, popcorn and three different kinds of bread cubed. Cheese in the fondue pot and that was typically supper on Sundays.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:06 PM on May. 10, 2009

• My mom used to have one and she put ranch in it because hers didnt have to get hot. and we would have carrots and other veggies.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:57 PM on May. 10, 2009

• The best fondue ever that we made all the time in the 70's but which is no doubt a no no now is with steak cut in cubes. You melt a stick of butter in the pot (not a ceramic fondue pot but a metal one) and a couple cups of peanut oil. Use the skewers to dip the steak in until cooked as desired. Then you'd have various dips to dip the cooked steak in. Yum! There was another where we used chicken broth and cooked shrimp, chicken, and I think steak in that, too.

Answer by Bmat at 8:40 PM on May. 10, 2009