? for gardeners...

I'd like a garden soon! but I havent done it before. if you live in S. Ga, in a similar climate or are knowledgeable of what grows good where...what are some vegetables which grow well in this climate? we often times have a drought, and the soil is sandy (I'd try to take care of that of with store-bought soil or a compost pile)

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:42 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I'm in North Georgia and have been very lucky to move to a house with great soil! I still use Miracle Grow "Water Control" soil around my plants. It helps a bunch!! I like to grow.... Tomatoes, squash, zucchini, gourds, and peppers. All are easy for beginner gardeners.  Start small so you don't get overwhelmed.

Good Luck to you!!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 3:58 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Sandy soil is excellent for root veggies like carrots, sweet potatoes and such. By adding other soils you should really be able to raise whatever it is you'd like. Tomatoes and green beans are easy. Corn has great rewards but is more work than others. Berries! My aunt in Savanah had a back yard full of raspberries and blackberries when I was a kid. Talk to your local garden shop about issues your specific area may be having. Grow the things that save you the most money at the market.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:58 PM on May. 10, 2009

• thank you all VERY much!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:59 PM on May. 10, 2009