How do they do it?

My friend is married to a taxi driver, she has her own home and she said that she has medicaid and that all her prescriptions are covered for her and her husband and three children. She was bragging that her children got braces all paid by medicaid. She recently threw a party for her dh in a restaurant (she said she rented it).

I'm happy for her but at the same time I don't understand why in my household having to work almost all my life we don't know how come we have never apply for government assistance actually my son had to get braces and we had to pay $800 which our insurance didn't cover. We don't throw parties and nothing like it. Our budget is not covering all our expenses and the interests on credit cards keep increasing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I understand how frustrating that may be because you would like to be able to do those things too, but you hold yourself to higher moral standard than that. Good for you. Don't let it bother you though because there is nothing you can really do about it that is going to make you feel better. We are also paying $900 for my son's orthodontic work, then another $1500 that our insurance wont cover for braces. We have financial difficulties month to month, and we qualify for food stamps, etc because they don't count part of my hubby's military pay. However, because we do get that extra pay that they don't count, we can make it on our own with still enough left for a small treat for the family every few months. You just have to know that you are doing the best you can, and if you are keeping your family clothes, fed, and housed then you are doing what you need to be doing. Good job for holding yourself to a higher standard!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:36 PM on May. 10, 2009

• i'm assuming part of a taxi drivers claimed income is tips, if you don't claim all the tips than no one knows what you really make, therefore you can have that extra income and apply for the aid you want to apply for when in all actuality you make enough money to pay for the things yourself. i'm assuming this b/c i used to waitress and at the end of the night you have to claim your tips, alot of servers don't claim all their tips b/c than you may end up owing money at tax time, i'm guessing cab companies work the same way
    Anonymous

• Like a waiter/waitress, the taxi driving husband likely doesn't report his tips on his taxes, and claims he makes very little--so they end up getting it all back and not paying any at all. So they get government assistance because he has 4 dependents and doesn't "earn enough of an income" to support his family (which is a crock!), so they can afford to "party" with the extra. Nice, huh?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:50 PM on May. 10, 2009

• They don't report their income. You could certainly report them anonymously to the IRS.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:30 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Why do you worry how others live their life? Do you know every detail of their life?
    Anonymous

• I was a waitress and if I was caught not claiming the tips I received, I wouldve been in big trouble. So if he's not claiming his tips, he will get his one day. Dont sweat it OP.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 4:59 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Don't be bitter about what others have. I am broke and not on assistance, (not even a mothers day present for me, much less eating out or something) but I do not spend one second of my day worrying about what other people have or what they do with their money. As far as having a party in a restaurant, most of them give you the area for free or for a "minimum" which would be covered by what their guests spend. (I know this from being a restaurant/bar manager for 15 years.) You don't know all the details, you are wasting your time letting it bother you.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 5:18 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Oh in case my answer wasn't clear in part, we do not accept the food stamps/medicaid nothing else. we do have wic for my 4 year old daughter, but that is going to be done in June when she turns 5. That is the only assistance we take, and that is so I can afford to keep buying her organic milk since the hormones are so bad for little girls. I can't stand to see people abusing the system so they can have more treats.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:38 PM on May. 10, 2009

• They are lying. Personally, I'd rather be poor and honest, than wealthy and dishonest.
    Anonymous

• well here in mass at least pittsfield the cab rent for a driver is $10 perhour plus they have to pay for thier own gas. on average they can make up $300-$400 a day which makes thier daily pay about $150-$250 or more depending on how busy they are which rounds to about $900-$1500 per week or about $6000 a month. so yes having it all so to speak is possible cause you figure the average home mortagae here is about $600 per month, $118.00 for tax on the home,and about $1000.00 in utility bills. depending on how many kids she has with her dh she can qualify for food stamps, so that saves on the food bill.if he is making around $6k a month and only spending about $2k a month on needs and bills that leaves them $4k a month to cover anything they want plus cost of a car . Sorry so detailed lol i just lov to figure math issues out. if i were you id get a job driving cab. lol
    BlendedMommy009

Answer by BlendedMommy009 at 8:34 PM on May. 10, 2009