Have you noticed how the name Jesus still sparks emotions nearly 2000...

...after his death? Some people are neutral, but many get inflamed and others feel love and comfort. Jesus is more than a historical figure, why did his word and teachings stand the test of time and still can spark debates?

This was a question asked in Church today.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because he is real. He is all around us and in us.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 4:54 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Buddha, Aristotle, Socrates, Plato...and many others also have the same effect on people.  Though it hasn't been 2000 years yet I also believe that you can add Gandhi and Martin Luther King and others to the list of people who's lives touch humans for the span of existence.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 4:21 PM on May. 10, 2009

• So true anetrelov! ITA.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 4:23 PM on May. 10, 2009

• nah...not as much as Jesus. Just listen around on cafemom. YES others do have an effect but not the size of emotions that are brought about as Jesus Christ.

I have seen very few people that get inflamed or angered (but i have seen a few) that will get their emotions stirred as when the name of Jesus is mentioned. You get more neutral responses with those names with Jesus it is mostly opposite sides of the pendulum.
    Anonymous

• touch humans for the span of existence.

Not touched humans. I didn't say anything about touching or influencing a life. I said sparked emotions.

Anonymous

• Cafemom is a bad example.  While some speak their true feelings many do what they can to stir arguments, cause tension, etc.  Especially in this section because of the ability to say what you want as Anon and no one knows who you are. 

But even still if their is a religious debate with 500 replies you find that many of the same people are replying....there are tens of thousands of people on Cafemom.  Not to mention that pretty much the same people respond to religious based post.  If Jesus' mere name could create so much immediate emotion you would think that a more varied group of people would be involved in said conversations.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 4:35 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Anon, when someone does something in their life that can cause a stir of emotion in a group of people they have touched those people in some way shape or form.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 4:36 PM on May. 10, 2009

• oh wow, anetrnlov, you almost fit the example that was discussed today to  a T! Wow...I am just speechless. WOW

Anonymous

• What are you talking about?  I am discussing your question...isn't that the point?

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 4:38 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I have seen very few people that get inflamed or angered (but i have seen a few) that will get their emotions stirred as when the name of Jesus is mentioned. You get more neutral responses with those names with Jesus it is mostly opposite sides of the pendulum.

I don't think it is "Jesus" that causes those emotions ( good or bad) ... it is the religion of Christianity as a whole that gets those emotions going. And just so you know, there are just as many neutral emotions that go along with Jesus as the others mentioned.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 4:40 PM on May. 10, 2009