Ok, so Fibro is mental condition now?

Lmao..I was at the newest docs office this past friday and this is what happened to me.

He walked in barely said "Hello" , sat down, looked over my chart, saw I was on Cymbalta.

He turned and looked at me and told me " Well, I want to take you off the Cymbalta to see if your *so called Fibro symptoms reside before I do a complete exam"...

*Yes. He did say " your so called Fibro symptoms"..

Then he stood up and walked out the door...

Excuse me....wtf just happened???

Have any of you ever encountered docs like this?

witch_e_woman

Asked by witch_e_woman at 4:29 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Health

• Get a new doctor, preferably a female. He sounds like an arrogant Pr**k

Answer by rkoloms at 4:39 PM on May. 10, 2009

• what an idiot! See if he will give you your money back for him being a dick or at least validate your parking! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 4:41 PM on May. 10, 2009

• yup and they think they r the bomb too lol so much for the hypocratic oath
    BlendedMommy009

Answer by BlendedMommy009 at 8:09 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I was diagnosed with fibro 8 years ago. It is not something I spend a lot of time treating, and I've never taken meds for it. It is very common though, to run into doctors who don't believe that it is a real diagnosis. They think it's mental, they think it's depression, they think it's exhaustion, etc etc. You are the only one that can advocate for you. If your doctor doesn't believe your symptoms, and can't respect you, you need to find a new one.
    LiviGracesmom

Answer by LiviGracesmom at 9:02 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I have fibro also. But guess what, a lot of doctors are telling people they have fibro. So, him taking you off cymbalta to see if your symptoms are the same is valid.
    I suspect that he worded it quite wrong, but understand his meaning.
    He wants to see if you present with the same symptoms still, or if they are gone. If they are gone they could be in remission (which would actually be normal for fibro) or if they are still there it signifies to him to keep testing.
    From all my research on fibro it goes into remission. MY FIBRO NEVER goes into remission.
    We have been continuing to do tests as it isn't a normal presentation for fibro.
    Please be patient with Rheumys for this.... they have NO answers for us and are frustrated as we are regarding this.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:10 AM on May. 11, 2009

• That's ridiculous! Absolutely so! Why would a physician want you to suffer so he can check you out? I saw a Rheumo. once that actually laughed at me when I told him I'd been diagnosed with fibro w/ hypermobility. They didn't treat fibro at that office. I couldn't believe it.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 12:11 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yeah, actually - apparently a lot of doctors just diagnose this when there are no reasons for the pain to be there, so they just call it fibro. And they think that it's all in your head. I don't have fibro, but I have nerve pain - there is nothing to show there is a reason for it, it's just there.

Anyway, the belief is that fibromyalgia runs hand-in-hand with depression. And a lot of doctors think depression is all in your head, too. One doctor scoffed at my sister when she went in to him for help, and told her - "There is no such THING as a chemical imbalance!"

Uh, sorry, but I beg to differ - I am walking proof of chemical imbalance. Maybe it is "all in my head" - but my brain is an organ too, you stupid ASS. It can go out of whack just as easy as all the other organs.
    TortisShell

Answer by TortisShell at 4:26 PM on May. 12, 2009