Can you be dilated at all without even noticing?

This is probably an obvious answer but I am clueless! LOL. I'm guessing dilation is something you can't tell yourself at all right? Like with going to the restroom, sex, anything at all? Also, what exactly does it mean to be effaced? Thanks ladies! Comin up on 30 weeks, woo hooo!

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 4:37 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• effaced is the thinning of the cervix so it can dilate
    dilating yes you wouldn't be able to tell, your doc will start to check you soon at each apointment to see how if at all effaced and dilated you are and will let you know. that just gives you an idea of if things are starting yet or not.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:46 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Sweetie check out this site http://prepforlabor.tripod.com/id14.html

Make sure your hands are clean tho!
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 4:48 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I was dialiated and I didnt even know. My baby is four months now and I was dialated up to a three for weeks before I had her. I think all it means is just the baby is getting ready to come!! I am not a doc so I may be wrong but what I know is when my OBGYN told me I was dialated I expected to go into labor at any time and I was ready but it actually took a few weeks. I didnt know anything either I was clue less but I learned that just bc your dialated doesnt mean the baby will come that day or even the next the baby comes when its ready. GOOD LUCK you are almost to the end you may be unconfortable ow but you will ba happy when the baby comes!
    HeidilovesNyla

Answer by HeidilovesNyla at 4:49 PM on May. 10, 2009

• effaced is how thinned out your cervix is getting dialating is how far the cervix is open
    BlendedMommy009

Answer by BlendedMommy009 at 8:05 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I was dilated w/my first 6 weeks before she was due, although I had a c-section 2 weeks before her due date. I was dilated to 6 (I believe, I was drowsy) when they did the c-section and I had no clue I was dilated until the doctor told me!
    kenziejosmommy

Answer by kenziejosmommy at 3:57 PM on May. 11, 2009