Did/Do you expect a gift from your SO/DH after having a baby?

My friend told me it's some kind of tradition for a man to buy his woman a very nice (expensive) gift after having his baby & that it should be expected because of the physical & mental toll pregnancy & labour has on us. I understand we go through a lot to bear children but I don't EXPECT a gift from him! What I do expect is HELP! It's a nice gesture but unless the gift is a nanny I don't see the purpose!
What are your thoughts and/or experiences on this?

marsha78

Asked by marsha78 at 4:39 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The best gift of all would be having him there, supporting me, like he should be.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 4:41 PM on May. 10, 2009

• No I didn't expect anything...isn't having a healthy baby enough?? I wouldn't get your hopes too high. Men don't think like that. He's going to be so caught up in the moment of having a baby (which he should be) that stuff like that shoudln't matter....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:42 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Your friend is lieing about that...She just wants her DH to buy her something...
    I would rather my DH help me with the house work and the baby/kids..Then buy me something.

Answer by louise2 at 4:49 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I completely agree with you ladies. It's my friend who expects a gift & we have been going back & forth about it. She just had their 2nd baby & she's not happy that he didn't get her a gift.
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 4:49 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I would never expect a gift from my husband after having a baby. That is just silly.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 4:52 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I've never even heard of that! My DF was there every free moment he had between shuttling my DD1 and his father back and forth while running his business. I bought everything for our last baby, and he got me some lovely flowers, balloons, and teddy bear. That was all I needed. He was so excited and took tons of pictures. I've seriously never heard of that tradition at all.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 5:01 PM on May. 10, 2009

• The best gift I've gotten was him not leaving my sight. He stayed the entire time. I appreciated him staying up to take care of the baby after I had a c/s and helping me out of bed, etc. That was enough. I didn't expect any materials.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 5:06 PM on May. 10, 2009

• the baby IS the gift
    saralouise

Answer by saralouise at 5:11 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I've heard that before too but don't agree with it at all.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:13 PM on May. 10, 2009

• No- I didn't get a 'push present' when the kids were born. Though I did ask my best friend to strongly hint to my hubby that he should bring me some flowers when our second child was born... he didn't get me any when my first was born and I was a little disappointed because I wanted to dry a flower from dad and put it in the baby book!
    Personally, with a new baby and all that this entails, we had better things to spend money on than me!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:15 PM on May. 10, 2009