My soon to be 4-year old boy is being a real snot. He has been asking for a birthday party, which I already have been planning. But he has been a nightmare. Should I cancel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Define being a snot...is he being a typically 4 year old boy? Is he craving attention he isn't getting? Does he need playmates to keep him busy? Is something causing him to be strssed?

There's got to be more to it. Before calling off his birthday party, make sure this is what you really think he deserves.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:30 PM on May. 10, 2009

• No don't cancel. Unfortunately he is just expressing his excitement. There is not much you can do unless you give him a count down of days until the party. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:31 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Three is the worst age (before the teen years). Just keep the party small and simple; we always followed the guide of one guest per the child's age plus one, so keep this to five kids. Keep the party at 1.5 hours; a game, cake, open gifts, send them on their way.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:33 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I agree with all of them he is just excited about having a party, don't punish him for being excited. Go ahead and give him his party. HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIL; GUY!!!!!!!!!
    homealone_10

Answer by homealone_10 at 6:04 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Well, by snot, I mean he's not listening to simple directions, like "please, put on your socks," don't throw toys at the cat, and when Grandma came over today for Mother's day, he locked himself in his room, and he just has been a royal pain. He's not typically this unpleasant, but WOW, I'm beat.
    MissV.

Answer by MissV. at 6:09 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I wouldn't cancel but I'd let him know that due to his behavior, he will not be allowed to play with his new toys. He will have to earn them with good behavior - I'd say one new toy for a week of pretty decent behavior. Maybe by the time he earns them all, the new behavior patterns will stick.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:09 PM on May. 10, 2009

• My sons are the same way, instead of a birthday party, it was the children's fair. I was so fed up with their behavior, that I sat them down and said "look, you boys are being very naughty and mommy and daddy are not happy. If you do it again, you both will sit in your room while we go to the children's fair." They stopped being bad and we had a great time at the fair.
    katfranz111

Answer by katfranz111 at 10:14 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't cancel. I think kids should know we love them and are happy they were born whether they are being difficult or not.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:44 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Let him have his day. I'd just make sure that he knew before hand that you put a lot of love and effort into making his day special and that you don't want his behavior to ruin the day for everyone. If you tell him this over and over and over maybe he'll get it. Then if he ruins the day wait until the day after his party and say "So sorry you can't play with your toys until you have two good days in a row."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I would cancel the party. I have a 4 year old boy and it just gets worse from 3 to 4. He started acting up when he was 2 and it has not ended yet. He will be 5 in July and I found if you do not follow through with your threats then they mean nothing to him. I have sympathy for you because I too am at my wits end. No matter how many times he is repremanded or put in time out or things taken away etc, he still has the same behavior. When I see a glimpse of good behavior I am praising him over and over but it does not happen often. I am staying stern because I am afraid this bad behavior will continue and I will not be able to do anything when he is older.
    joanntal

Answer by joanntal at 1:39 PM on May. 19, 2009