Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

military and moving w children.

i live in pa and want to move to va with my soon to be husband who is in the navy. i had a daughter 3 months ago with my ex husband...he hasnt been there for us or asked about her or seen her at all...if i move down there what can he do? im willing to bring her up for visits but cant i get in trouble for taking her there? hes a horrible person and would be a bad influence but i wouldnt stop him from seeing her. i have a feeling when i move hell try to fight just to make my life hell...not bc he wants to see her. he hasnt so far and has made no plans to either. plz tell me theres hope for us.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (4)
  • One of my friends was married to a guy who was in the miltary, he was a jerk and she moved across the country without telling him. He couldnt do anything about it because there was no custody agreement in place. Now if he wants to see her, he has to go there, pick her up, and take her back to her moms.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on May. 10, 2009

  • if there is no custody agreement in place he can't do anything if you do move. he can try to get a custody agreement in place before you move, but you should be able to go to court and say i'm willing to do this much each month or however often the arrangements would be, but that your husband/soon to be husband is stationed in va and you want to live with him. i know alot of people who have to travel every month or so to take their children to see their father/mother b/c their spouse is military and they live wherever their spouse is stationed. it is possible you just have to work it out either with him or within the court system. maybe if you tell him you are moving and try to make the arrangements yourself now he'd be more willing to not make a stink about it. and the fact that he hasn't been involved til now, if he does try, should help you in court if he makes a stink

    Answer by vabchmommy at 6:10 PM on May. 10, 2009

  • he might not say anything bc he really doesnt want to pay just afraid he will bc im making such a big decision and hes spiteful like that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on May. 10, 2009

  • If there is no custody agreement then you need to get that before you take the kids out of state. If you take them out of state without that then he can call the cops for kidnaping. I know it sounds crazy but it happend to my cousin. And if that happens its alot harder to get it to happen. Talk to a lawyer and get some advice if your not sure who to talk to have your soon to be hubby talk to jag for you. They will tell him what you can do. Im sry that this is so complicated. I wish you the best of luck with you, your kids and your new hubby. congrats by the way!

    Answer by Shelii at 8:29 PM on May. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.