constipated

My 11 day old baby seems to be constipated .She has not pooped in 3 days and she has been trying to poop this afternoon but can't.Should i just try to switch her formula or is this something i should call her ped about.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• call her ped. first. ask him if it is okay to give her prune juice mixed with water. as long as her belly is not distended and hard as a rock then she should be okay until she can either see dr. tomorrow or poops on her own (which i am sure she will do) i'll look up some info and get back to you
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:50 PM on May. 10, 2009

• okay, no prune juice. lay her on her back and take her legs and move them as she is riding a bicycle. try to loosen up the bowels. usually this will cause her to pass gas too. is she just formula fed or are you doing both breast and bottle...what type of formula are you using?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 5:54 PM on May. 10, 2009

• She is formula fed only and is drinking similac isomil advance soy formula.Which she started drinking 4 days ago.
    Anonymous

• the dr. told me to mix dark corn syrup and water it really worked I believe it was like 4 tablespoons to 4 oz
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 8:49 PM on May. 10, 2009

• try calling the ped first.. they will tell you the best formula's to use for these situations, and tricks to relieve her belly, and tricks to help her poop. I know using some vaseline around the area to help stimulate it, is something my ped. told me about.. but before following any advice on here, call your ped. office, they know what's best for you and your baby.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:55 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Are you sure she's constipated? Are you mixing her formula correctly? The right amount of water with the powder? Do not give solids unless it's absolutely necessary.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:28 PM on May. 10, 2009