My 17 year old son is a daddy!?!?!

Okay so my 17 year old son informed me today that his X is PG!! I was shocked because I never even knew that they had sex! He says that they used a condom and he's not sure how she got PG but he is sure he's the dad because she said he is? They only went out a few times and not exclusively as far as I know. At least my son was seeing others. He is a little POed but seems okay with it. I'm not!! WTH should I insist he take a paternity test before allowing my son to hand his life and paycheck over to this girl and this child for the next 18 years. If it's his fine he needs to step up as he is the one that decided he was old enough o have sex. But should I let him let this girl possibly use him? Am I being to protective?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• He should absolutely take a paternity test and start working with the baby's mother (if she plans on having and keeping the baby) on how they plan to care for and support the child; I hope that you will encourage him to be an equal parent.
    I know that this must be hurting you very deeply, but they were old enough to have sex and they are old enough to deal with the consequences. If he is not already doing so, your son should be tested regularly (every six months) for STDs.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I would order a paternity test. And if it turns out he is the father then he does need to step up and take responsibility for his actions.
    If it comes out he is not the father, then I would just leave it at that. He doesn't owe her anything then.

Good Luck
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 6:03 PM on May. 10, 2009

• You are damn right you're being protective and with every right to be. This happened to my older brother. He saw this girl one time. Once. A few months later she demanded he pay child support and she was pregnant. We fought it tooth and nail. She slandered my brother through the town as a dead beat and a horrible person. We won in court. She was already pregnant when she had sex with my brother, she just didn't want to admit it.

You fight it. Put it to your son this way--How does he know he was the only one she was seeing? He can't know. Even if she has stated so. Demand a paternity test. You stand up for your son and take the lead. This is a life lesson he will not know how to handle. If it isn't his then you need to set that straight with the girl and her family. If it is his then you and your son should sit down and decide how his is going to help out.

Stand your ground. She may not be telling the truth.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 6:04 PM on May. 10, 2009

• no i would sit down with the girl and her parents and explain to them, that although the children think he is the dad, you can never be positive in a situation where the kids weren't exclusive, so yes he will be there throughout the pregnancy to support her and do what he can in that department but when the baby comes you would prefer that there is a paternity test, to protect all involved, but especially the baby, that way they don't find something else out later. and just explain to your son, although he thinks she is telling him the truth he needs to protect himself and take the baby into consideration, b/c if the baby isn't his and he signs the birth certificate and says yes it is his, than finds out later in life it isn't the baby and him are both going to be disappointed and have mixed feelings about the situation. so its better to be safe than sorry.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:04 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I'd demand a paternity test. My friend's brother had a GF that had a baby, not know who the father was and insisted that he was the daddy. It's ridiculous!!! This girl could have easily gotten pregnant by someone else, especially if she was the type to sleep around. I'd need proof, that's all I can say.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 6:06 PM on May. 10, 2009

• the paternity test is always a good idea, to put his mind and YOUR mind at ease!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:13 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I would do the test....
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:43 PM on May. 10, 2009

• yes, get a test. for suuuuure.
    Anonymous