Is It Too Early To Potty Train?

I have an almost 16 month old daughter. I am wondering is it too early to try and potty train? She seems interested in it she comes in when we are going potty and watches and other things. Should I start putting her in pull ups a couple times through out the day?

Bamzakarat

Asked by Bamzakarat at 6:14 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It may be more of a fascination or curiosity at this point. By all means encourage her and keep telling her about the potty, but she may be too young to realize about controlling her bowels, and may not have the capacity to hold them yet. I have always heard to start around 2 y/o unless there are several signs. Long periods of dryness, waking up dry, being able to verbalize pee or poop (or whatever your words are), being able to sit still and concentrate for a while, etc. I admit that when our FS was about 20 months old I bought him a potty, we watched a potty video, and he even sat on it a few times. But he did NOT like to be put on the potty, (even when he was successful) so I backed off for a while. Toddlers only have control over when & where they pee/poop, and what they put in their mouths. I decided to wait until it was HIS idea. But maybe try and see how it works, but I wouldn't expect much yet. Hope this helps!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:24 PM on May. 10, 2009

• At our daughter's one year checkup, the doctor said "oh, she is so smart, you should start potty training at 18 months". My husband was thrilled, I was horrified. Fast forward a few years; the child was 4 and reading before we could get her out of diapers.
    If you are going to go ahead with potty training, use underpants with plastic pants; the pullups are just overpriced diapers.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 PM on May. 10, 2009

• If she;'s showing interest, she's ready! But I'd just use regular diapers for awhile yet. Pull-ups are expensive and it'll take awhile for her to get the hang of waiting. Make sure she can tell you (with words or a signal) that she needs to go to help make it a little easier.
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 6:49 PM on May. 10, 2009

• rkoloms you made my day! I'm so glad to meet another mom who went through what I did! I too have a very smart child who was reading and still in diapers when he turned 4! Het potty trained at 4ys 2 mos (not that I kept track or anything)

If your 16 month old seems interested, follow her lead, no pressure. It is rare for a child to be ready before 18 mos, but I have met kids who did train by 18 mos. I think those kids are usually self motivated. I know my moms syas that my sister potty trained herself at 18 mos.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:05 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I would let her get familiar with it at 16 months (check out the book or DVD "once upon a potty" probably available at your library)... then between 18 and 20 months you can start. My daughter trained at 19 months and it was great. Most experts say they don't really have the capacity to control their bladders until 18 months, but it doesn't hurt to let her (don't make her) sit on it before then.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:52 PM on May. 10, 2009

• DD was potty trained by 18 months.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:30 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Yes. 16 months is still a little too early. But everyone is different.
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 12:01 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I think it's just a game and a curiousity to her at this point. I don't think they are physically able to do it at this point. She will just have you trained to run and put her on if she "shows the signs" -- I would wait on serious training, but if she wants to do it, applaud her efforts, but don't get to gun ho on it.
    JeccaBelle

Answer by JeccaBelle at 2:40 AM on May. 11, 2009