Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

im scared, i want to get divorced but my husband wants the baby!!!!!

Im scared becasue i want to get divorced but my husband who is in the military wants to stay w/my little boy. he says he gets all the credit bacuase his in the military is that true? im also scared because i dont work n ive never worked but as long i can keep my baby w/me ill do anything n start working can someone explain this to me. is it possible that they will give full custody 2 him?

Answer Question

Asked by s.larsen at 6:45 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • My ex husband was in the military. I didn't work and I got the baby. I learned to live on as little as possible for a few years while I went back to school. Talk to an attorney. Your husband is trying to fill your head with lies.

    Answer by PrttyMstng at 6:54 PM on May. 10, 2009

  • not unless he can prove that you are unfit and can not provide for baby
    get a job, get a place, get on your feet and go to court

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:59 PM on May. 10, 2009

  • You need to talk to a lawyer. In fact, go meet a lot of lawyers; every time you have a consultation with a lawyer, you are removing one law firn that your husband can use.

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:01 PM on May. 10, 2009

  • Usually the father won't get full custody over the mother unless she is proven to be unfit and unable to care for the child. I would talk to a lawyer like the others have said. I have never heard of them "favoring" 1 person over the other because they are in the military.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 7:34 PM on May. 10, 2009

  • no way will he get full custody. if u are willing to get a job and if u can provide for your baby then u have nothing to worry about.

    Answer by ksexymom19 at 9:07 PM on May. 10, 2009

  • he can't get full custody in case he gets deployed. He's just trying to scare you.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:06 PM on May. 10, 2009

  • look to see if there is a place called "Women in Transition" in your area ... I live in western michigan, and they provided so much support, counseling, and even a lawyer when I could not afford one. Your husband is playing headgames with you. You need to surround yourself with people who can help you. Ask around at churches if they can refer you to such a group (I'm sure there is one by other names in other areas) in your area.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on May. 11, 2009

  • you need to talk to a lawyer. it does look better for him right now because he has a steady job and you have just been staying at home. You can go into jag and talk to them about it. good luck and hope everything works out for you.

    Answer by Shelii at 2:34 PM on May. 11, 2009

  • Get an attorney and find out what can happen. Every state and every siutation is different. I know someone who got full custody of his son because he had more money to get a better attorney. The father turned his son against his own mother. It is unfair to the mother and child. It can happen but it is rare that a mother doesn't get primary custody. You and your ex may end up with joint custody with primary placement with you and visitation for dad. Your best bet is to talk to an attorney. Most have first visits free.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:54 PM on May. 11, 2009

  • Get a lawyer but relax, it is not likely they will grant him full custody of a child that young uless he can prove you unfit, which is very hard to do. A stint in the military while admirable does not make him more fit than you nor make his shit not stink. Make sure you get some legal aid of some sort, the child support enforcement agency can assist you.

    Answer by salexander at 10:31 PM on May. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.