What is a normal behavior for 3 year olds in general??

My son just turned 3 in march and he whines alot and doesn't tell me what is wrong with him when he is upset. He also is afraid of loud noises, I am sure he will grow out of this and is a normal little kid thing, but my husband doesn't seem to think so. Any information on 3 year old behavior would be great thank you!

BonnyHargis

Asked by BonnyHargis at 7:12 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ya its a normal 3 yr old thing. he'll grow out of it. when he talks ask him to talk nicely and show him what you mean by nicely (use a nice tone of voice, then whine and tell him that that is not talking nicely) this took about 3 weeks of continually doing it w/my daughter but now when she starts whining i can ask her if she is talking nice and she will fix it herself. when he is upset and won't tell you what is wrong, explain you want to help him to not be upset and he has to use his words to tell you why he is upset so you can try to fix it for him. if he doesn't tell you, than you can't try to help him. as for the loud noises, just humor the fear when he has it, the fear will change to something else soon enough (monsters, bugs the list goes on) just explain the noise that he is hearing (sirens, thunder etc...and why it is so loud so he understands it, but most of little kids fears are from not understanding)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:17 PM on May. 10, 2009

• It's not normal for my boys, but they have SPD. If they are whiney and can't tell me what's wrong it's usually because they're in sensory overload and need some quiet time, or need to be enveloped (sit in my lap with me on the floor and my arms around them snuggly...not a hug...just touching as much of them as I can) or for my 3 year old he needs his compression vest.

Loud noises do more than scare my boys, they send the boys into I can best describe as a panic. My oldest is better (he's 5) and will simply cover his ears and leave the area as quickly as he can. My three year old will scream, cry and bury himself into me and after the sound is gone it still takes quite some time to calm him down.

For my boys this is nothing they will outgrow. It is something they have to learn how to cope with for the rest of their lives.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:48 AM on May. 11, 2009

• my son is 3 going on 4 and he is scared of loud noises too but he is getting better but fireworks never scared him. he is always whining. i think they need to call it the terrible 2,3,4 and 5 lol. i have a nephew that has always been scared of loud noises but he is fine.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 10:01 AM on May. 11, 2009

• It's hard to generalize how children act. My 3 year old doesn't whine near as much as my 4 year old does. If something is wrong he will tell me what it is, as best as he can. I guess it all depends on the kid.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:22 AM on May. 11, 2009

• Have your child make the noise when they get calmed down. Like if you hear thunder, say, "Thunder goes BOOM, BOOM, BOOM. Can you do it?" Make it funny and laugh with them about their thunder noises. Do the same for fire trucks, etc. It worked with both of my kids.

When he doesn't tell you what's wrong, maybe he isn't being difficult. Maybe he just can't verbalize his feelings well enough. Ask him if he's mad or sad or frustrated or whatever. Help him with the words. Say, "Sometimes, I get mad too. It makes me want to ___. What do you want to do when you're mad?"
    0123456

Answer by 0123456 at 1:55 AM on May. 16, 2009