How to make my toddler eat?

About 2 weeks again I noticed that my 14 month old son was cutting his 1 year molars. We use natural teething tablets to ease the pain. However, he began to slowly stop eatting. Some days he will only eat vegetable crackers and toast. Today, he has eatten a blueberry muffin and 1 jar of baby fruit yogart. I must add that up until now he was eatting 2-3 meals daily. He has also started throwing fits in public by arching his back and screaming. He refuses to sit in a high chair. Before he turned 1, he would go through 4-6 baby food containers a day. I am just looking for someone who has been in this situation to help with advice. We have even tried to let him feed himself, but he shows no interest. Also, during the day we are trying to use sippy cups only and he is not happy about that either.

butterfli_mom

Asked by butterfli_mom at 7:55 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like you have a toddler. Jarred baby food doesn't taste good, just feed him real foods, and keep his sippy cup filled with water. Avocado, baked sweet potato, brown rice, cooked beans, cubes of tofu, cooked whole wheat pasta, frozen peas, frozen blueberries etc. Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is a great book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families; you should be able to find it at your local library; more information at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 8:04 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Have you ever had a toothache? Eating isn't fun when your mouth hurts :) I've always heard that kids can't starve themselves--they will eat when they are hungry. Just keep offering a variety of foods and he'll eat when he's hungry.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 9:08 PM on May. 10, 2009

• He could be getting sick too. ear infection or sore throat. my daughters appetite always drops when she's sick. teething doesn't seem to bother her, but does affect a lot of kids too. Sore gums are no fun to chew with!

Get some gogorts and put them in the freezer. see if he'll eat those. They work great for teething and they are healthy. Try some of the softer foods too. apple sauce, yougurt, ice cream. If he still doesn't want to eat, check with the doc as it could be something besides teething.
    Anonymous

• Feed him real foods and offer only healthy options. Don't force him to eat just offer. He'll eat when he's hungry.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:31 PM on May. 10, 2009

• He will eat when he gets hungry, believe me!!! lol I'm going through the same thing w/ both of my 16 month old twins .I put lots of soft finger foods on their trays , if they are hungry they will eat..
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 11:58 PM on May. 10, 2009

• First, let me state that I love teething tablets. BUT they do NOT do a thing for the pain. They only ease the baby's distress and irritibity. Molars are painful and he has 8 of them coming in over the next 1.5 years. At the very least, give him a dose of Motrin to help him sleep at night.

The fits are common. The terrible two's do not start at 2. They usually start in the second year of life - which he is a couple of months in to. The best thing to do is to ignore them no matter where they happen.

Around this age most kids stop eating as much as they did as babies. They are not growing as quickly and don't need as much food. Some days they seem to eat 2 cheerios and that's all. Other days, they eat just about everything they are given. Since he doesn't eat much, make sure every bite counts. No junk food. No cookies, no chips. If he won't eat much, make it count.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:47 AM on May. 11, 2009