fighting kids .......on mothers day

My husband got me a card, 3 pair of 10k gold earrings, and from the kids he got me a card and a gold necklace plus he cooked breakfast and lunch and I appreciate it very much. He had to go to the store before he cooked and while he was gone my kids started fighting and yelling. They are almost 16,13,11 and a 4 year old. I asked them to stop but they kept on until I got so upset that I cried because I figured just one day out of the year I could enjoy a day without all the fighting. It wouldve meant more to me than anything money could buy. I couldnt stop crying. I do for them all the time and I cant even get respect on mothers day. It was my 16 year old daughter and 11 year old son fighting. How do I get some respect and stop them from fighting without beating them to death and having a nervous breakdown.

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 7:59 PM on May. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I feel your pain and I am sorry you had a bad day hope your day gets better.
    214mommydearest

Answer by 214mommydearest at 8:09 PM on May. 10, 2009

• sorry your mothers day had a damper on it...but think of all the stuff your hubby got you =]. you are very loved by your family, even if they do fight on your day. kids dont understand all that a mother does until they are grown and out of the house. they will REALLY understand once they have kids of their own.
    brodysmama09

Answer by brodysmama09 at 8:22 PM on May. 10, 2009

• My kids did the same thing. Dh went to his moms house and the kids had been fine all day but as soon as he leaves they go at it. I have boys and it gets very physical and they never listen to me either. The only thing i can suggest is some family therapy or at least some counseling for you. I'm sorry your day was so bad, hopefully your kids will think about their behavior and come apologize to you later. My youngest did just now, and I do feel a little better, although I know they will start again the second they wake up tomorrow,
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:40 PM on May. 10, 2009