any advice on how to potty train a 2 year old boy??

jaismama

Asked by jaismama at 8:07 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think two is too soon. I'd wait, it'll just be incredibly frustrating and filled with accidents which will annoy you and then it'll just set him back. We're all different but I started at over 3 years old with a potty chart. I don't know, just my opinion.
    Anonymous

• We were not getting any where with potty training on little kid potties when we let them try to go on the big potty (they see it as being a big kid) and love it. I have also given into stickers on the fridge on a potty chart every time they go with to the pottty and not in the pull ups. I have also made it more fun for them when they have to go to the potty they yell stop POTTY TIME. Hope this helps. ( we have a boy/girl twins) She took to potty training easier.
    Shelly922731

Answer by Shelly922731 at 9:54 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I am actually attempting to potty train my 2-year old boy as well. It is proving difficult but we are stopping him every couple hours or so to have a potty break. So far he has used the potty once but is still progressing. Each time he sits for at least 10 mins. Even if nothing happens we still reward him with hugs and kisses and telling him what a good boy he was. It also helps if you allow them to have a book or a favorite toy. (VERY WASHABLE IN CASE OF ACCIDENTS)
    PhotographyM0m

Answer by PhotographyM0m at 11:28 PM on May. 10, 2009

• When he's ready ..he'll let you know:)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 11:59 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I think just 2 is too young, but if he's closer to 3 then it will be easier. The pediatrician said "If they're too young, it is YOU that is being trained, not them." That being said, my son (I did this during the summer), while at home, I let him wear a large t-shirt only (one that came down to his knees, almost like a dress), so if he had an "accident" it didn't spray across the room. Everything else was the same, looking for the signs (squatting, that "look" on his face" etc.). My Psyche prof told us a story about teaching his son to go in a toilet by putting a small handful of cheerios in the toilet and trying to "sink them" -- a good aiming excersise when they get to that point.

Just tid bits of advice -- not sure fire cures. All 3 of my kids trained completely differently. They boys definitley later, and none of them at just 2. Good luck! :o)
    JeccaBelle

Answer by JeccaBelle at 1:52 AM on May. 11, 2009

• My son was out of diapers in eight days at 19 1/2 months. We went straight to underwear. For us, the key was teaching him to recognize the feeling when he was going, and show him where to put it (the potty). I did not have him sit on the potty and wait. I waited until he started to pee, told him what was happening, and sat him on the potty. He caught on so quickly and was peeing in the potty with no accidents all day and regular underwear after three days.

PM me if you want a link to my blog with the step-by-step details. I have been a nanny for 20 years and have helped over two dozen toddlers wear underwear and stay clean and dry under the age of two. It can be done quite young without a lot of stress.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 2:54 AM on May. 11, 2009