Calling all Catholics...Should priests be allowed to marry?

Yes or No and why?

Please do not respond unless you are Catholic.

Nathskitten

Asked by Nathskitten at 9:18 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think this is a really good question. For my entire life, I said 'NO!"

UNTIL! I met our priest that married us. And we talked about it. And he was so lonely and such a loving man. After spending time with him at his home, it was sad for me to see him be so lonely, making frozen pizzas.

The problem is that they vow poverty. And than the parish would have to support the family. So that would have to be a new issue for the Catholic church.

However, I think it would be curious to see if they could have different priest ministeries. For example the married priest, and than another ministry that took the vow of chasity.

It would change the whole dynamics of priesthood and the Catholic church, but I think it is possible.

But for now, I listen to the Pope and follow his lead.
    MumFerg

Answer by MumFerg at 2:59 PM on May. 11, 2009

• Yes!!
    Anonymous

• yes they should marry. It is not biblical for men to stay celibate. Paul said that celibacy was a gift. Not every person had the ability to show self control in that manner. However it has always been in God's plan for men to marry. He that finds a wife finds a good thing.

Anonymous

• I always thought they should. They are still devoting their life to God and I feel they should be able to have someone to love, cherish and spend the rest of their days with too.

Anonymous

• Yes.

Catholicism puts traditions on the same level as the Bible which shouldn't be because the Bible is the infallable word of God, tradition isn't. All traditions that were made in the past for political or financial reasons that have no Biblical standing should be done away with. Traditions that contradict the message of Jesus Christ (that salvation is obtained though belief in HIM alone) by saying there are other works, deeds or ways to pray/buy yourself into heaven ought to be done away with. Traditions that tell people they need to come to God through a priest for forgiveness of sins when Jesus SPECIFICALLY came so that we could come to him WITHOUT intercession (he makes intercession FOR US) ought to be thrown out.

Catholic priests in history were once able to marry. It was changed because they were leaving their estates to their children. No wife/children, no money to leave to anyone, More $$ for the church.
    Anonymous

• (cont.) Peter is seen as the first Pope. Peter was married and mentions his mother-in-law in the Bible. Why can't the rest of them married? How can priests appropriately counsel married couples when they have no clue what they're talking about?
    Anonymous

• Catholic priests in history were once able to marry. It was changed because they were leaving their estates to their children. No wife/children, no money to leave to anyone, More $$ for the church.

I agree, and really I think that's all the catholic church cares about.
    Anonymous

• YES!!!! I think priests should be allowed to marry, they would have a better chance of counseling married couples or those that are getting married. Also, I think there would be less priests molesting children, it may not stop in completely but there would be less of it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:37 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Actually in Eastern Rite Catholicism married men can become priests. And there are exceptions for Latin Rite Catholics where married men can become priests.

But I think that generally because of the level of service that a priest is called to do that celibacy is a good thing. Marriage is a challenge normally - to add the additional responsiblity of a priest who should serve his congregation first is not ideal. Celibacy is a gift from God - and for those who are called to it, those called to the priesthood it's an excellent thing. If a married man feels called to serve God there are many ways he can do so such as a deacon.

Looking at wives of Protestant pastors there are increases in depression, divorce is just as high if not higher as in other marriages. It really does add an additional strain.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:49 PM on May. 10, 2009

• From a practical point of view - there's the issue of whether or not parishes could pay a priest enough money to support a family -- house them and provide medical insurance, etc. How about the need to be able to move priests from parish to parish easiliy - is that really fair to the family (especially children in school)?

A counsolor doesn't have to be married to be able to provide good advice to married couples - most problems such as communication, trust issues, power struggles, money - these are common to all types of relationships and a person doesn't have to be married in order to provide the appropriate strategies to couples to deal with these things. And marriage counciling is only a very small part of what a priest does.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:52 PM on May. 10, 2009