Should your period stop when taking Mirena?

I started on mirena april 2008 I nursed til november 08. Ive been getting spotty periods every 6 weeks ( mid nov then jan then mid feb then early april and waiting for the next).

or should I be seeing my doc about possibly being pregnant?

NurseRapunzel

Asked by NurseRapunzel at 9:38 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had the mirena since march 2008 and I didn't get a period the whole month of april and still nothing today. but i was told that with the mirena it could stop your period all together. but if you believe you may be pregnant take a test. if you are go immediately to your obgyn and have the mirena removed. if the test says you are not pregnant then you are fine it is just that you are having one of the side effects from the iud.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:42 PM on May. 10, 2009

• It is normal to quit having a period with the Mirena.
    Mine are getting so light I expect them to stop all together in the next couple of months.

If you are worried take a pregnancy test, but in all likelihood you are not pregnant.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:42 PM on May. 10, 2009

• You will stop completely bleeding and maybe once in a while have spotting and when i say spotting it's spotting. I have had mine in since june of 08 and i bled for a month staight then once a day once a month then come dec I've had a spot here and there. But if you need reasurance go see your doctor. GL Happy Mothers Day!
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:44 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I no longer have a period and I've been on merina since 2/2007. Most of the people I know with it don't really get one either. Some spot every few months. So I would say it is normal not to get one.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:48 PM on May. 10, 2009

• It's normal to not have a period with Mirena. Even says so in the commercials, website, and pamphlets. But you can always take a test to be sure because about 1% of women do get pregnant with it. Can you find your strings?
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:36 PM on May. 10, 2009