Why do I feel bad buying for myself?

My dh and our kids all have an over abundance of clothing, shoes and everything else I see that I think they'll love/need one day. Seriously, each of our kids have at least one tote each (dd has 3 because she lives here and needs more clothing here than my sks do) of clothing they will grow into....but when it comes to buying clothing for myself I feel weird, like I shouldn't be spending money on myself and I don't know why. Anyone else feel this way? How do you get over it? My b-day is coming up and for my b-day I'm taking myself shopping for clothes because I've come to the realization that I need them but I don't know how to not feel bad about buying myself stuff.

mommabear2008

Asked by mommabear2008 at 10:04 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Shopping

• Go and buy your little heart out it's your birthday you need new clothes then don't feel guilty you work hard at making sure everyone around you has what you they need go get what you need.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:12 PM on May. 10, 2009

• i do the same thing, i had to buy a nursing bras and tanks the other day and i felt guilty doing that. really theres nothing you can do but just go buy the stuff you need, tell yourself your kids have plenty and they don't need or want anything, so its perfectly fine for you to get yourself what you need. i think i get my hair cut every 6 months, i might get new clothes once a year if that!
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:12 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Once I decided to get myself a Coach bag with my b-day $$$...I left the outlet and used the $$$ on groceries that same day. I think we're conditioned to sacrifice, even when it's not necessary. We are used to dealing with the money, and setting the budget, and since we have experienced first hand how quickly money disappears, we decide that we can do without. Especially since I stay at home, my reasoning is, "well, I have no one to impress, I don't need new shoes" but my husband needs boots to work, my kids go to school so they need 2 pairs each, but not me, I only need the same shoes I've been in for 3 years. I thought that way until very recently, and I don't feel guilty anymore. My new shoes are very comfy. :)
    Aneya

Answer by Aneya at 10:48 PM on May. 10, 2009

• we feel bad because we are moms and putting our kids first is what we do.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:20 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I am the same way, I feel bad because if I spend the money on me and my kid needs something and there is no money it is my fault .

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:29 PM on May. 13, 2009