Is it normal to have consistent cramping with an IUD?

I have had the copper IUD for about two months now, and am still having mild to moderate cramping almost every day. Not to mention periods that have lasted for over a week (when they used to be 3-4 days)! I've seen my doctor and had an ultrasound done to check the position, and everything seems fine. Is anyone else having these problems?

vixenmama

Asked by vixenmama at 10:10 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, the copper IUDs give you longer more painful periods than the plastic ones. I have a plastic one and have never even had a period. I haven't had a period since before I was pregnant. Your doc didn't tell you that the side effects of the copper are stronger?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:13 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Periods tend to be a bit longer with the copper IUD...as far as the cramping...it should straighten out after 3 months...it takes your body about 90 days to get used to ANY type of IUD because its thinning your uterine lining and your uterus is mad theres a foriegn object in there...not that its a bad thing per se.

I have a Paragard myself, my periods are about 2 days longer and the first day is a bit heavier...I got twinges here and there for the first 3 months with both of the 2 I have had...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:14 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I have a copper IUD and I havent had any sideeffects with cramping. Ive had it for almost a year, and my first periods were longer but now im back to periods that last only 4 days.
    bella710

Answer by bella710 at 2:28 PM on May. 11, 2009