medicine for my 1 year old

my baby boy has a cough cold and fever. I have been giving him tylenol all day today but it doesnt seem to help. im looking for a medicine with a more specific cure to "cough and cold". Any advice on what else i can give him???

GINABELLE88

Asked by GINABELLE88 at 10:20 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd only give it to him at bedtime since it's just a cough suppressant and they actually need to cough. You can give him like half the dose of Triamenic. Call the pharmacy and double check the dose though I can't remember exactly.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:29 PM on May. 10, 2009

• Cough syrup never helped my boys. Vicks Vapor Rub or a generic brand helps them. I rub it on their chests and feet. They don't wake up much during the night from coughing and they get a better night's sleep.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:02 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I too have tried the vics vapor rub. I put it on his chest and back. Never heard of putting it on the feet tho. "Dudtbunny" does that really help?? I am a young mom and just want to do the best for my boy. I would appreciate if you would leave me a message regarding that. Thanks!
    PhotographyM0m

Answer by PhotographyM0m at 11:37 PM on May. 10, 2009

• You can give a teaspoon of honey before bed and it will help with the cough.
    Anonymous

• Using a warm vaporizer in his roon w/ vicks vapors in the water( it's made to go into the vapo water) will work way better than the oner the counter meds:)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 11:55 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I would not give him any "Cough & Cold" medicine. Just recently a lot of those meds where recalled and pulled off shelves. I agree with dustbunny-use Vicks. Also, I don't recommend honey because it is not pastuarized (sp?) and your son could get bochulism from it. Good luck and I hope he feels better soon!
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 12:05 AM on May. 11, 2009

• oh, if you should happen to use a "Cough & Cold" medicine- use something with an expectorant.
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 12:06 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I was told by Dr. my baby now at 16 mnths couldnt have an of the over the counter meds for coughing or cold related, so you may want to talk to you ped. but for cought i
    have tried those pedicare plug ins it smells up the room with something like vapor rub an it tends to work my DD would break out an get red if i put the rub ion her chest so you might try those plug in s hope this helps good luck!
    Anonymous