My 1 year-old is sick

my baby boy has a cough cold and fever. I have been giving him tylenol all day today but it doesnt seem to help. im looking for a medicine with a more specific cure to "cough and cold". Any advice on what else i can give him???

GINABELLE88

Asked by GINABELLE88 at 10:21 PM on May. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• they pulled most of the medicines that were directed at that last year for anyone under the age of 3 and its still hard to find stuff for kids younger than 6. try motrin for the fever, he may just not react as well to tylenol my dd reacts better to motrin for a fever. otherwise, there is vicks baby rub, a humidifier to help at night, and use the nose thingy ( can never remember the name) to suction out his nose.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:26 PM on May. 10, 2009

• I agree with vabchmommy. Also keep him hydrated. There really is no other cold medicine besides Tylenol and Ibuprofen that is safe for a one year old.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 10:41 PM on May. 10, 2009

• There isn't anything you can give a child that young for a cough. You can treat his fever with motrin though, it's better for fevers and lasts longer.
    You can try the Johnson and Johnson vapor wash before bed, they make little vapor plug ins now too... I think by Little noses.
    A humidifier in his room will help soothe and loosen his cough.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:06 PM on May. 10, 2009

• There is no cough and cold medicine that cures just let the baby ride it out... use the humidifier it works.. also put something under the mattress to raise the head a little bit to help him breathe better. usually w hen my daughter gets colds.. we just ride it out..lots of liquid, suction nose to unclog, teach the kid to blow into a tissue and it works for us without meds. Meds prolong.. tylenol is for fever not cold.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:16 PM on May. 10, 2009

• When my son is sick we give him chamomile tea. It doesn't have caffiene, and it really calms him and helps his cough. (he's 8 months, the doctor said its ok to give him)
    Anonymous

• when a child has a fever it is the bodies natural response to fighting the illness-do NOT give tylenol. If you have a local homeopathic store or health food store I would look for a alternative remedy. I gave my son "Kids" 0-9 Cough and cold by Homeolab and it worked well.

Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:46 AM on May. 11, 2009

• cont--
    check out these sites too. GL
    If an INFANT 3 months or younger has a rectal temperature above 100.5°F for more than eight hours, you should call the doctor right away, whether or not she shows any other signs of illness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd give motrin if she needs relief to sleep, but not for temperature. My son gets a 104 temp everytime.

Pick up "How to Raise a Healthy in Spite of Your Dr", which has great information on fevers:http://http://www.attachmentparentingdoctor.com/fever.html

Dr. Sears: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082100.asp

Dr. Sears:
    A fever is not an illness in itself -- it's the symptom of an underlying problem (usually an infection), just as a car's engine light acts as an alarm signal. And not every one is necessarily serious. A higher fever doesn't always indicate a sicker child. Minor viral illnesses may produce a high temperature (10
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:47 AM on May. 11, 2009

• cont--
    Call 911 Now If:
    Not moving or very weak
    Unresponsive or difficult to awaken
    Difficulty breathing with bluish lips
    Rash with purple (blood-colored) spots or dots
    Call Your Doctor Now If:
    Your child looks or acts very sick
    Any difficulty breathing
    Great difficulty swallowing fluids or saliva
    Child is confused (delirious) or has stiff neck or bulging soft spot
    Had a seizure with a fever
    Age < 12 weeks with fever > 100.4°F (38°C) rectally (Caution: do NOT give these babies any fever medicine before being seen)
    Fever > 105°F (40.6°C) at any age
    Very irritable (e.g. inconsolable crying or cries when touched or moved)
    Won't move an arm or leg normally
    Signs of dehydration (very dry mouth, no urine > 8 hours, etc.)
    Chronic disease that causes decreased immunity

http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/treating_a_childs_fever_naturally
    Loa1002